Can you take Map Notes offline?

Jump to solution
08-16-2021 06:20 AM
JonathanDandois
Occasional Contributor

I’ve got a small field collection workflow that requires offline editing in Field Maps through our 10.8.1 Portal.  I was thinking that it would be great to include Map Notes in our maps so that I can leave notes for my field crews if I don’t get the chance to speak with them before they head out.  It looks like you can’t take Map Notes offline, nor when the Map Notes Feature Collection are converted to a layer in Portal.  I’ve seen some posts that suggest converting the Feature Collection Layer to a Hosted Layer.  

Even as I write this I’m thinking it might be better to simply share a separate online-only map with the field crew Group that includes my notes. Then the field crews can check on that when they are in the office in the morning to review notes or priorities, but still switch to and sync the offline map for the day’s work.  

Curious if anyone else has taken on something like this, thanks! 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

Pretty sure your initial thoughts were the right ones. Map notes are creating on device by the field teams and are packages up as a feature collection, and then shared to AGOL, but aren't backwards compatible, because offline syncing only pulls down a runtime geodatabase and tile package. 

So the solution is to host your own map notes layer, with a labelled point layer for text.

David
..Maps with no limits..

View solution in original post

1 Reply
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

Pretty sure your initial thoughts were the right ones. Map notes are creating on device by the field teams and are packages up as a feature collection, and then shared to AGOL, but aren't backwards compatible, because offline syncing only pulls down a runtime geodatabase and tile package. 

So the solution is to host your own map notes layer, with a labelled point layer for text.

David
..Maps with no limits..