Can't generate new license file for ArcGIS Enterprise - Zero available Creator license types

Jump to solution
06-09-2021 11:47 AM
MaryGraceMcClellan
New Contributor III

I went to create a new license file for our beta environment by following the instructions on this page: https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/10.7/administer/windows/obtain-portal-license.htm

But I was unable to create the file because it said I had 0 available Creator license types (out of 100), and the option to specify how many Creators I wanted was grayed out. My understanding from the documentation is that I should be able to draw from my currently authorized pool of licenses and just overwrite the number that is currently authorized. I have the full 100 users "claimed", but I thought when I went to generate the license file, I could just say that I still wanted those users plus whatever I wanted to add. 

The option to generate a new license file is available when choosing a different version of Portal. However, I am not upgrading to 10.8.1, I am just trying to provision more viewer types for 10.7.1 (our currently version). 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It's doing that because it thinks you're generating an additional license to go alongside the current one, which is currently claiming all those users.

Open the current license file and go to Edit it.

jcarlson_0-1623268082042.png

This will allow you to carry the user types forward into the new license, replacing the old one rather than supplementing it.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

8 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It's doing that because it thinks you're generating an additional license to go alongside the current one, which is currently claiming all those users.

Open the current license file and go to Edit it.

jcarlson_0-1623268082042.png

This will allow you to carry the user types forward into the new license, replacing the old one rather than supplementing it.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
MaryGraceMcClellan
New Contributor III

Thanks! By any chance, do you know if editing the license file (which, according to My Esri will "cancel" our current license file) will make any changes to the environment before I import the new license? 

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It shouldn't. At least, I've never had any users notice anything between generating the new file and making the required updates.

If you manage your licenses locally as opposed to going through AGOL, it's probably a good idea to update your Portal and your License Server Administrator in close sequence, but I doubt it would cause a noticeable hiccup.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
MaryGraceMcClellan
New Contributor III

It would appear that it didn't disrupt anything - I was afraid of a total system restart or something like that, but it was a pretty low-drama process. 🙂 

Thanks again for your help! 

PanGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

I couldn't find any documentation on this.

Thank you!!!

0 Kudos
MarkShibuta
New Contributor III

Hey There, Urgent help needed to mitigate the downtime I have caused. I generated a license file for version 10.9.1 and yet the installers available were for v10.9. after running the installation of Portal and attempting to authorise I got the invalid license file error;

I am attempting to edit the License file to v10.9 so that I can complete the upgrade from 10.8 but unfortunately the creator users are grayed out. Sadly I'm stuck as I cant proceed with creating the License file with 0 creators?

0 Kudos
FionaRenton1
Occasional Contributor II

I had to figure this out a few weeks ago.

In order to regenerate the Portal license for 10.9 you have to cancel the license file for 10.9.1In Authorizations, click on License management on the left side and select the license for 10.9.1 and choose "Cancel license file"

Wait a few minutes and then reauthorize the licenses for 10.9

MarkShibuta
New Contributor III

Thanks Fiona,  this worked!. Thanks again.