Bulk Update Service Thumbnails

03-27-2018 02:49 PM
RyanCoodey
Occasional Contributor III

We just federated our ArcGIS Server 10.6 with Portal 10.6 in preparation for rolling out Portal to the organization. When publishing a new service, the Portal item creates an icon based off the data. Not the prettiest icon, but its something. We have over 130 services that got federated and don't want to manually update each to get an icon... so hoping there is a way to trigger a Portal item (that references a service) to generate an icon?

Thanks a bunch!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

There's no out of the box way to do this. What you could, do is use Python to update thumbnails. Each item has a pointer to the URL, which you can use to run the exportMap request to get an image. Then, save the image locally and check the network traffic when uploading a thumbnail manually so you can re-create the request in Python. Update the thumbnail with the saved image.

It's potentially a bit of work, but I'm not sure there's any other way.

Hm, in writing this, I'm not sure why the thumbnails wouldn't be populated automatically. I know there's an exportMap request that happens internally for thumbnails in Manager, but I'm not sure how that translates to thumbnails in Portal. I'll take a look.

0 Kudos