Bulk update portal layer attributes

Jump to solution
05-05-2021 10:16 AM
Barry_Zickuhr
New Contributor II

I'm an old-school GIS person who's just getting back into the new tools. I'm new to Portal & web mapping layers, and am having trouble.

I created a web map with layers of zipcodes joined with a table of customer problems broken out by zip. This was tremendously successful and showcased how the portal can be used to identify problem areas quickly.

The customer problems table updated quarterly. Since I've create the layers already (zipcode polys with joined attributes), is there a way to bulk update the attributes in the layer without resorting to python or recreating the whole layer? It really is a simple cut/paste operation, but everything I find in my searching is a single line at a time. 

Thanks for your help. I'm sure this is just my old ARC/INFO 1.4 brain looking in the wrong place for something.

Barry

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Gotcha. Yeah, there's a "Rerun Analysis" option for the resulting layers, but it's going to create a new layer, as opposed to feeding into the existing one.

To do it all with the web tools would involve a new layer → export the new layer to file → use file to overwrite existing layer. More clicking than you'd probably want, but maybe not too bad if it's only quarterly.

Do you have any desktop tools (Esri or otherwise) you could use to create the joined layer? If the layer is published from a file or a service definition, you can very easily overwrite it.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could try overwriting the existing layer, but that would depend on where the layer came from. How did you initially create the layer? Was it something you did on the desktop side and published, or did you perform the analysis in the web map?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
Barry_Zickuhr
New Contributor II
The layer(s) were created in the web map using the Join Analysis feature. I joined the zip polys (yes, I know they're not REALLY polygons, but hey, they are) and an uploaded csv file. I don't want to have to recreate the layers every time, I'd rather just update the joined layer's attribute table. Seems simple, no?
My ultimate goal is to build a dashboard, but I'm not there yet.
Thanks,
Barry
0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Gotcha. Yeah, there's a "Rerun Analysis" option for the resulting layers, but it's going to create a new layer, as opposed to feeding into the existing one.

To do it all with the web tools would involve a new layer → export the new layer to file → use file to overwrite existing layer. More clicking than you'd probably want, but maybe not too bad if it's only quarterly.

Do you have any desktop tools (Esri or otherwise) you could use to create the joined layer? If the layer is published from a file or a service definition, you can very easily overwrite it.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS