Broken feature-linked annotation?

1896
1
09-10-2013 03:17 PM
TrishRice
Occasional Contributor III
Our feature-linked annotation seems to have lost some of its feature linkage ability.  We have point data in a file geodatabase and used the 'convert labels to annotation' tool to make a feature-linked annotation layer (saved in the database).  This is a 'living' data file and my colleague adds new features once in a while.  We tested that adding new point features made new annotation and that editing the label field also updated the annotation text.  Everything was good.  Today that link has mysteriously broken--new features don't make new anno, and updating the point's label attribute doesn't update the anno.  The annotation layer still shows the relationship class so I don't know what could be wrong.  Moving points does move the anno so it's retaining the offset info.  Deleting points also deletes anno but creating points doesn't create anno.

For a couple days I've been moving the annotation to be visually pleasing (1/3 done of about 2000 anno's) but nothing major--just scooting, rotating, and adding leaders.  Did I break it and how can I restore the linkage?

ArcMap 10.0, ArcInfo license.

Edit to add related info--I have a test anno layer that is nearly identical but without the annotation classes.  It's the layer I played around with before starting the real one.  (This is my first project with annotation, so I fiddled with settings using the test layer.)  The test layer has retained its linkage and updates everything correctly--but only upon exiting the edit session.  I think the only difference between the test anno layer and the real anno layer is that the real one has annotation classes and those are styled with my own settings.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
TrishRice
Occasional Contributor III
Sort of figured it out (I think).  It only wants to create annotation for features that fall into the annotation classes' SQL queries upon creation of the feature.  Creating the feature, and then filling in the fields, worked at first but not now.  So I had to assign a default value to the fields that the annotation classes are based on.  Now it seems to be working again if we create the feature and change the default value to what we need.
0 Kudos