Borrowing Symbology from Another Layer when Attribute Name Differs

09-24-2010 08:09 AM
RandyKreuziger
Occasional Contributor III
(I posted this yesterday to the "ArcGIS Desktop - General" but this might be a better place.)

I would like to retire an old but popular feature class of place locations replacing it an official GNIS feature class. Unfortunately, because the attribute names differ there is no way in ArcMap that I can see to borrow the symbology from the old feature class with the new one.

Old Layer / New Layer
PtName --> Feature_Name
FClass --> Feature_Type

I tried to import the symbology then tried changing the data source but neither worked because the attribute names are different.

Any ideas?

Does anyone know if this has been submitted as an enhancement?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JakubSisak
Are just the field names different? If so, you could change the Value Field(s) and re-save the layer file.  (See attached for visual)

If the attribute values themselves have been updated you could create a look-up table and join the layer with the table then symbolize on the join fields.
0 Kudos
RandyKreuziger
Are just the field names different? If so, you could change the Value Field(s) and re-save the layer file.  (See attached for visual)

I didn't notice that before.  It worked for the symbology but not the labeling.  It only allowed me to provide 1 value, the value for the field used in the symbology.  So my labeling SQL expression disapeared along with the font and color.
0 Kudos
JakubSisak
I didn't notice that before.  It worked for the symbology but not the labeling.  It only allowed me to provide 1 value, the value for the field used in the symbology.  So my labeling SQL expression disapeared along with the font and color.

Importing symbology does not import the Label schema and expressions. There is no out-of-the box tool a am aware of to import labels but it can be done with VBA.

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/12764-Is-there-a-way-of-Importing-Label-Styles-as-you-do-Symbology?...
0 Kudos