ArcGIS Pro fails to publish in Portal and ends up with “federated server is not available” error,

01-18-2018 01:36 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Pro fails to publish in Portal and ends up with “federated server is not available” error,

Despite the fact that the Portal and Adaptor are successfully installed and the portal is added to Pro, signed in and set as active, Pro fails to publish data using the “web layer” tool and ends up with the “federated server is not available”.

Is the “Portal for ArcGIS” is a replacement for “ArcGIS Server”? do we still need to install “ArcGIS Server” in order to be able to publish in “Portal for ArcGIS”?

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
7 Replies
MarleyGeddes
Esri Contributor

Hi Jamal,

The short answer is that you cannot publish to a standalone Portal for ArcGIS. You will need to have all components of the ArcGIS Enterprise installed and configured before you are able to publish hosted feature services to Portal for ArcGIS.

ArcGIS Enterprise is comprised of four software components: Portal for ArcGIS, ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Data Store and two installations of ArcGIS Web Adaptor, one for traffic to your ArcGIS Enterprise portal and another for traffic to your hosting server.

Before moving forward, I suggest reading through the following resources:
What is ArcGIS Enterprise?—ArcGIS Enterprise | ArcGIS Enterprise 
Base ArcGIS Enterprise deployment—ArcGIS Enterprise | ArcGIS Enterprise 

About using your portal with ArcGIS Server—Portal for ArcGIS (10.6) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Marley

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thank Marley.

I thought that the Portal has the same function as ArcGIS Online with one difference, the ArcGIS Online stick sticks the published data in esri cloud while the Portal in one’s environment.

Then what is the ADDED VALUE of having the Portal as we need anyway to install the ArcGIS Server considering that:

1.Installing the Portal requires that machine to have domain

2.It requires installing the web adaptor

3.It requires SSL

For example, in our case, we use Geocortex as web mapping application. Is there really any advantage to work with portal?

Jamal Numan
MarleyGeddes
Esri Contributor

Hi Jamal,

Portal for ArcGIS is just one of the four components of ArcGIS Enterprise; you cannot publish to a standalone Portal.

I suggest watching the following video for more information on ArcGIS Enterprise and it's capabilities: ArcGIS Enterprise: An Introduction. Pay close attention between 33:00 and 35:00 where the presenter talks about the components of ArcGIS Enterprise. 

ArcGIS Enterprise and subscriptions to ArcGIS Online provide similar functionality. The main distinction between the two is that ArcGIS Online is run in a cloud infrastructure and the administrative tasks are handled by Esri. Alternatively, ArcGIS Enterprise runs on your own infrastructure and the administrative tasks are handled by you (or your designated administrator).

Quoted from the ArcGIS Enterprise help topic, Understand the relationship between Portal for ArcGIS and an ArcGIS Online subscription—Portal for A..., organizations typically implement ArcGIS Enterprise when they have one or more of the following requirements:

• They require full control over the hardware running the portal in order to maintain a particular service-level agreement (SLA).
  • They require service publishing from the website, and enterprise data is prohibited from being physically stored off-premises.
  • Computers in the organization are not connected to the Internet or have an unreliable Internet connection.
  • They want to use functionality available only with Portal for ArcGIS and ArcGIS Pro, such as publishing their own 3D scene layers.

Hope this helps,
Marley

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Marley.

That’s not my point.

I have been using the ArcGIS Server (standard\enterprise) since the 10.1 version. My question here is that, if I can do all what I need with the ArcGIS Server (to publish and then to consume services in any web mapping application), then what is the added value if I switch to Portal?

Is the only reason to switch to Portal is that the ArcGIS Pro  can’t publish directly in ArcGIS Server but requires Portal?

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
MarleyGeddes
Esri Contributor

Hi Jamal, 

You are correct that ArcGIS Pro cannot publish directly to ArcGIS Server. Alternatively, ArcGIS Pro can publish to ArcGIS Online or to your Enterprise portal (Portal for ArcGIS with federated and hosting server). However, customers do not typically use Portal for ArcGIS solely for publishing from ArcGIS Pro.

Most organizations implement ArcGIS Enterprise (with Portal for ArcGIS) when they meet one or more of the following requirements:

• They require full control over the hardware running the portal in order to maintain a particular service-level agreement (SLA).
  • They require service publishing from the website, and enterprise data is prohibited from being physically stored off-premises.
  • Computers in the organization are not connected to the Internet or have an unreliable Internet connection.
  • They want to use functionality available only with Portal for ArcGIS and ArcGIS Pro, such as publishing their own 3D scene layers.

If your Organization does not meet one of the above requirements, then you may want to consider implementing a hybrid configuration using both ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise (thus, not using Portal for ArcGIS).

As described in Understand the relationship between Portal for ArcGIS and an ArcGIS Online subscription—Portal for A..., many customers use both ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise to achieve a comprehensive and robust system for managing all their geospatial assets.

Thanks,
Marley

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jamal,

> My question ... is ... what is the added value if I switch to Portal?

Please review the contents of this ArcUser technical article: Portal for ArcGIS 101 

This UC technical session may also help, Web GIS: Server and Online: Portal for ArcGIS: An Introduction - YouTube

Portal for ArcGIS helps enable the complete "WebGIS" user experience in your own infrastructure - which provides more that simply publishing web services and using client apps to consume them. It provides a map-centric content management system, making GIS assets easily discoverable, and enables users to collaborate and share their work to the organization's spatial assets in one location. Portal also includes access to many ArcGIS apps such as: the configurable application templates, Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS, and Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS.

Hope this helps,

abdullahqasrawi
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jamal,

You need to make server federation if you want to publish service into Portal for ArcGIS.
Portal for ArcGIS is not a server, it is an environment that contain your services.
I think here there is no any added value if ArcGIS server and ArcMap achieve your work.
Please note that ArcGIS pro and portal for ArcGIS will help you if you want to publish 3D web scenes.