ArcGIS Portal Issue

10-03-2017 01:30 AM
LeeKum_Cheong
New Contributor III

Hi all,

Need some insights on the following issue.

<Msg time="2017-09-29T10:46:45,92" type="SEVERE" code="218010" source="Portal Admin" process="3832" thread="1" methodName="" machine="XXX.XXX.COM" user="" elapsed="">The portal has been initialized and configured but is not accessible. The internal portal database does not appear to be running or accepting connections. Restart the portal machine or machines and if the problem persists, contact Esri technical support (U.S.) or your distributor (customers outside the U.S.).</Msg>
<Msg time="2017-09-29T10:46:45,94" type="WARNING" code="218012" source="Portal Admin" process="3832" thread="1" methodName="" machine="XXX.XXX.COM" user="" elapsed="">Error at check and update urls. The portal is currently unavailable. Please contact your portal administrator.</Msg>
<Msg time="2017-09-29T10:46:45,396" type="WARNING" code="217014" source="Portal" process="3832" thread="1" methodName="" machine="XXX.XXX.COM" user="" elapsed="">Error at URL updater. C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Portal\apps\GeoList\index.html</Msg>
<Msg time="2017-09-29T10:46:50,192" type="WARNING" code="218014" source="Portal" process="3832" thread="1" methodName="" machine="XXX.XXX.COM" user="" elapsed="">Starting Index Service.</Msg>

Subsequently after restart.

<Msg time="2017-09-29T10:49:41,498" type="SEVERE" code="217003" source="Portal" process="4048" thread="1" methodName="" machine="XXX.XXX.COM" user="" elapsed="">Error before starting configuration observer. null</Msg>
<Msg time="2017-09-29T10:49:41,498" type="SEVERE" code="217075" source="Portal" process="4048" thread="1" methodName="" machine="XXX.XXX.COM" user="" elapsed="">Failed to start the portal. The observer's beforeStart() function returned a failure.</Msg>

I am on ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5.1, windows 7. Have tried repairing Portal as well, but still faced with same issue. Also, I tried to perform a netstat but couldn't see 7443, 6443 is present.

Thanks.

33 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Again,

Thanks for your prompt response Jonathan and your replies give us a sense that atleast we know what the issue is ,which we are not getting from anyone else even from those who are working on this ticket and reverting once in 2-3 days - #02560079  and #02555195

I agree what you said about HA but earlier both HA (Active-Active) portal servers used to share a load with each other but after introducing postgres as an internal component this HA becomes (Active-Passive) which is quite strange for us but we will live with that idea as well.

Currently, our big problem is fixing this indexing issue and yes we have done this indexing manually multiple time using portaladmin page which can be controlled by user and suggested by esri team in many occasions. but whenever we ran this it always ran successfully.

Yes we have upgraded from 10.6.1 to 10.8 recently and it was working and then failing whenever server reboot happens but then again working after restarting services couple of times and then again failing. So basically we are in mess and our entire setup is down

BR

Saurabh

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Did you back up the original index directories, or did you delete them? If you backed them up, then I suggest you revert them just to get Portal back up and running.

If you deleted them you could go through an "upgrade":

1) Stop portal

2) Rename the config-store-connection.json file

3) Start Portal - this puts portal in "upgrade mode" and does not expect the indices to be available

4) Within the Portaladmin API, "upgrade" the portal -> this is just moving from 10.8 to 10.8, which won't do much other than reconfigure things, such as the index, which is what's failing for you

If you do go this route, discuss it with the tech support analyst first, and take a backup or snapshot prior to running this.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jonathan,

we tried to rename the config-store-connection.json file and started the portal service. The Portal URL is not working (we have not seen any postgres instances running and also no new config store file is generated).

4) Within the Portaladmin API, "upgrade" the portal -> this is just moving from 10.8 to 10.8, which won't do much other than reconfigure things, such as the index, which is what's failing for you -- we are unable to find upgrade in portal admin API.

Please let us know if we need to do the suggested steps in different way.

Thanks,

Naveen Beti

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

It's expected that the config-store-connection.json file doesn't get re-created and the Postgres processes don't start. Renaming the config-store-connection.json file puts the portal into "upgrade mode" so you can let portal reconfigure things for you. I suggest you try this workflow with the Support analyst.

0 Kudos
DerrickFrese1
New Contributor II

I am hopping onto this hoping Jonathan Quinn‌ can point me in the right direction.  I'm seeing this in my tomcat\logs\localhost file.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

06-Aug-2020 14:17:06.639 SEVERE [https-jsse-nio2-7443-exec-10] org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke Servlet.service() for servlet [dispatch] threw exception
com.esri.gw.HttpException: You do not have permissions to access this resource or perform this operation.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

What behavior are you seeing in the Portal? Are you unable to sign in to Portaladmin or the home app? What errors are there in the portal logs?

0 Kudos
DerrickFrese1
New Contributor II

We have had users complaining that their settings are being applied successfully, but when they check a few minutes later they have reverted to the default.  For example, settings in web maps or feature layers.  However, there do not seem to be any errors in the logs that point to the cause.  We can still log-in fine to Home, Portaladmin, etc...  A little context is that it is an HA Portal and we recently upgraded from 10.7.1 to 10.8.1.  We had no issues before the upgrade.  Could the upgrade have caused it?  Or buggy behavior at 10.8.1?  If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.  

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

If you were to stop the standby portal, do you still see problems? What kind of settings are changed within the web maps or feature layers?

0 Kudos
Luiz_AmadeuCoutinho
Occasional Contributor III

I got a similar problem here, few weeks ago. The datastore was reinstalled and the problem was fixed.

And I don´t know what happend.

0 Kudos
AllanAxon1
New Contributor III

Luiz,

Thanks for the reply. I'm new to portal and trying to script the installation. Are you talking about the local postgres db (gwdb)? This database seems to be running and is accessible locally through port 7654 on the portal machine. How do you re-install just the datasource. I've uninstalled/re-installed portal several times and keep getting the errors reported by OP and myself.

I assume we are not talking about installing the  ArcGIS Data Store, but let me know if that's what you did.

--Allan

0 Kudos