ArcGIS Portal Installation Consuming Large Amounts of Disk Space

09-05-2018 01:22 AM
AlexChiu2
New Contributor II

I'm kind of concerned by the of the amount of disk space ArcGIS Portal is consuming one of my servers . I seem to have narrowed it down the the following directory C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Portal\framework\runtime\tomcat\temp. In this directory there is over 40GB of portalsite backups .

I'd like to understand if it is safe to remove these files manually and what process is generating these backups.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

What version are you on? Are you running an automated task to create backups using exportSite within the Portaladmin API or the WebGISDR tool? When you backup Portal, it first stages the backups in that temp directory before moving it to the backup location defined within the exportSite API or the DR tool. It's strange that they're left behind in that directory.

0 Kudos
AlexChiu2
New Contributor II

Hi Jonathan, thanks for you reply, we're using 10.4.1. Yes the time which the portalsite backups are created coincide with a scheduled task which runs a WebGIS DR and uploads to an S3 bucket weekly. My colleague had set this up some time ago. I would expect Portal to clean these up after itself? Can you confirm if it is safe to manually delete these files?

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Are the backups created successfully? Have you attempted to restore a backup? If so, does it restore all expected content? If all content is restored successfully, you should be able to delete the portalsite backups in the temp directory. I haven't seen that issue in later versions so it's possible that's something that has been fixed without a public bug.

0 Kudos