Adjusting line spacing in a text box

02-04-2012 12:23 PM
PhilipMorrison
New Contributor
I was wondering if it is possible to adjust the line spacing within a text box in ArcMap 9.3.  I've created text boxes on the Layout view to hold company info, map info, scale, etc.  In one particular box, I have 7 lines.  I have adjusted the font size and type (i.e. bold and italics) of individual lines using formatting tags.  However, I would like to adjust the spacing between the lines.  Rather than have them all spaced out evenly, I would like a group of them (the company address and contact info) spaced a little closer together and another line set a little farther apart from the others.  In MSWord you can add space before or after a paragraph or you can make the line spacing a multiple (i.e. 1.5).  Is there a way to do that in ArcMap 9.3?

Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ThomasVer_Ploeg
New Contributor
What you can do is insert an object, with that object being a MS word document. From there you have all of the formatting options that MS word provides. However you need to be aware that you can only insert the first page of the word document, but if you play around with the word document paper size you can get some pretty custom text boxes. Hope this helps!
0 Kudos
PhilipMorrison
New Contributor
David & Tom,

Thanks for the input.  I tried David's suggestion of using the <LIN> tag for inidividual lines within a text block but couldn't seem to get it to work.  I ended up creating three text boxes and adjusting the leading within each of them.  By using a leading of -1, I was able to tighten up the spacing within the block and then I spaced out the blocks a little.  It looks a lot better.  Thanks again for the input.
0 Kudos
SarahBenson
New Contributor

SarahBenson_1-1702435712796.png

elements tab for the text box you are wanting to edit

0 Kudos