Adding WMS in Portal and ArcGIS Pro

01-03-2018 07:29 PM
DeanHowell1
Occasional Contributor III

I must say I am a little disappointed at the way Portal and ArcGIS Pro handle WMS / WFS and other OCG compliant services. It is great that many organisations are releasing their data in ways that reduces the need to store data locally is great but trying to consuming it across the Esri platforms is difficult.

As an example I am trying to load some administrative boundaries into our hosted Portal for ArcGIS using the following link GeoServer Web Map Service but get the following message

but if I add a connection in ArcGIS Pro it works fine

Does anyone have a solution for this as I want to be able to load the data into Portal so the layers can be used across the enterprise?

Note to Esri: It would be good if the products could be coordinated a bit better i.e. if I can add a service in one product I should be able to do the same in another!!!

Tags (1)
16 Replies
AnthonyRyanEQL

Dean,

What version of portal are you using? I'm using V10.3.1 and having the exact same issue when the URL isn't the format ESRI wants it (eg. ESRI WMS implementation - xxxx.xxx.xxxx/WMSServer). Our portal sits behind a forward proxy & firewall and is setup correctly with the proxy/port settings. I have been talking with ESRI inc and local support on & off for 5 months and still no resolution via portal without other software components. I have pin pointed it down to portal's proxy code and believe there is a bug within the code but they don't believe me when I show them. The proxy code sends the request to our firewall instead of using its own proxy configuration.

i have implemented ESRI resource proxy code (.net version) from GitHub for now with modifications to ensure our forward proxy & domain account config is used for Internet access. I created a portal item using the resource proxy/WMS URL and it's the only way I can get it to work.

As you said before this functionality should work straight up across all parts of the platform.

Let me know if you need more information

Regards

DeanHowell1

We are using Portal 10.5.1 with ArcGIS Pro 2.0.1 

Thanks for the information around the proxy code and will look into that further.

Cheers

Dean

0 Kudos
AnthonyRyanEQL

Dean,

Thanks for the information.

Anthiony

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

I tried this on my end and didn't see any problems.  I'm using 10.5.1:

If you were to take a look at the network traffic, do you see any requests fail?  For example, when I hit the Get Layers button, a proxy request is made to the WMS service:

Ex.

https://portal.domain.com/portal/sharing/proxy?https://data.gov.au/geoserver/qld-state-electoral-bou...

Since it's a proxy request, the request is coming from the portal machine itself, not your browser.  If you were to sign onto the Portal machine as the user running the Portal for ArcGIS Window service, can you open a browser and reach the page?  If not, that would indicate that outbound requests are blocked, which is why you're seeing issues.

DeanHowell1

Thanks Jonathan,

I will raise this with the IT team to see if they can determine if it is a proxy issue. I tried it again this morning and all seems to be working so not sure it our security has been changed or some changes were made at the WMS side.

Thanks again for looking into it for me.

Regards

Dean

0 Kudos
AnthonyRyanEQL

Jonathan,

Is your portal sitting behind behind a forward proxy & firewall along with the settings done in the portal admin section? I only ask because I keep getting answers like it works from Esri Inc support, etc. but their configuration is completely different to how our company does it. It have tested the url above and no luck with it working. I have all tested the domain account many times for internet access, etc and all is working as expected.

I just added this layer Australian Land Cover (Web Mercator) and it works with no issues. It appears to be an Esri WMS service.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Unfortunately, network related problems aren't something Tech Support can assist with. They can determine if there is a general problem with Portal or the WMS service, and can identify if it's a network related problem, but it's difficult to provide additional support if it's determined to be something within your network. It'd be good to see the network traffic when you try to add the WMS service to Portal. How did you test network access for the domain account?  On the portal machine?

0 Kudos
AnthonyRyanEQL

Jonathan,

We tested internet access a couple of ways with success in getting an xml response back.

• Logged onto the Portal VM as the domain account that runs Portal and tested the url in IE.
  • Run IE as another user (the domain account) on my desktop and tested the url in IE
  • I tested the url on my desktop

Is there any other way I should test?

Thanks

0 Kudos
JYI
by
Occasional Contributor

Hope you have solved your problem. If not, this is my solution as I cannot add our WMS layer either in the way you did. But I am able to add it from:

0 Kudos