Adding external WMS with defined projection

05-30-2023 02:49 AM
HelenD1
New Contributor

I am trying to add an external WMS service to Enterprise Portal. I want to specify the projection as EPSG:27700, I have checked the capabilities and it states that this is an available projection. I get the impression that I can do this by defining a 'Custom Parameter' when I add the link but I have no experience of this step and I'm unsure what I need to specify.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
PeterHodkinson
Esri Contributor

Hi @HelenD1 

I assume you're adding the WMS as a Content item in your Portal? 

I would recommend saving the content item without directly specifying the projection at this stage. When the item is subsequently added as a layer to the Map Viewer, it will dynamically request the correct projection for you to match the coordinate system of the basemap chosen.

I have tested using the custom parameter "crs" set to "EPSG:27700" when adding a WMS item to content. This will append the parameter to all subsequent requests sent to the service. While I was able to subsequently add the layer to Map Viewer with a BNG basemap, there was an issue getting the legend to display. The layer will also then fail to display if a basemap with a different projection (e.g. EPSG:3857) is chosen. So in most circumstances I'd suggest leaving the custom parameters and letting Map Viewer append this parameter for you.

I hope this is helpful,

Peter

0 Kudos