New PRVC file? Upgrading Hosting Server via ArcGIS Enterprise Cloud Builder for AWS

04-12-2021 04:48 PM
AdamRepsher_BentEar
New Contributor III

Hi Again Everyone,

I have failed to upgrade my deployment for the second time today.  My first attempt resulted in a failure because I did not supply the updated 10.8.1 Enterprise Portal JSON license file.  I fixed that by returning to My Esri, cancelling the old 10.8 license file and generating a new one for 10.8.1.

My second attempt was successful at upgrading and licensing Portal, but the Hosting Server licensing failed now, because of the 10.8 license PRVC file was rejected - again, the wrong version.

How do I cancel the Server license file and generate a new one?  The process does not appear to be available for the ArcGIS Server side of the Enterprise Manage License Files.

Thanks!

--Adam

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If the GIS Server hasn't been authorized using the licensing file (PRVC) that you created, it should still be available for activation in My Esri. Create a new licensing file (PRVC) for 10.8.1 in My Esri, and try authorizing again. In case the license is not available for activation in My Esri, you need to contact Esri Support for resolving the issue.

Think Location
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @AdamRepsher_BentEar,

@JayantaPoddar is correct. If you are unable to generate a new ArcGIS Server license through My Esri, what you will need to do is contact Esri Support and they will be able to assist you with licensing your upgraded ArcGIS Server. 

Regards,

James

AdamRepsher_BentEar
New Contributor III

Thank you @Anonymous User and @JayantaPoddar ,

Each time I try to deploy the upgrade and it fails, all of the upgrades get rolled back to 10.8, so the upgrade does not stay.  Need the License file to run the upgrade.  I will call support tomorrow. 
thanks again,

Adam

0 Kudos
DavidHoy
Esri Contributor

Hi @AdamRepsher_BentEar 

in MyEsri, on the "Manage License Files" page 

you should see the .prvc file you generated for 10.8 Server under the "License Files related to ArcGIS Server and Desktop" option.
If you dont, you may need to log out of MyEsri and log in again to get a refreshed listing.

Once you can see the file listed, select the Details page - and (if you have the appropriate privileges in MyEsri), there is a "Cancel License File" button.

once you have done this, you should be able to generate a new 10.8.1 .prvc file.

If your server does not have access to the Esri licensing site, you may need to go via the "Secure Site Operations" page in MyEsri Licensing - this allows you to upload a simple text file (based on the details in the .prvc file) via this page to retrieve a .ecp file that you can use to authorise without being asked to go to the web from the Server machine.

Note, if you have an Enterprise Geodatabase or a Relational Data Store- you need to ensure that the license file gets updated in these as well - for Data Store, the upgrade wizard will deal with this.
For an Enterprise Geodatabase, you need to do it via Desktop or Pro -there is a GeoProcessing tool 

https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.8/tools/data-management-toolbox/update-enterprise-geodatabas... 

– use a copy of the keycodes file from the \\Program Files\ESRI\License<release#>\sysgen directory on the ArcGIS Server for this.

AdamRepsher_BentEar
New Contributor III

Good Moring @DavidHoy ,

Thank you for taking the time to help out.  I just tried logging out and clearing browser cache, and even trying another browser to "see" the .pvrc file in the License Files related to ArcGIS Server and Desktop option.  The only button available is "Overview" each time.

To be clear, I am "deploying" the 10.8.1 Upgrade via the ArcGIS Enterprise Cloud Builder for Amazon Web Services app.  This requires the PRVC file to be uploaded to the "S3 Deployment Bucket" - and that is applied during the automated update.  The key here is that if the upgrade deployment does not complete without error, the upgrade rolls back to 10.8.  There is no way to upgrade with this method without the new PRVC file and then authorize Server later.
Oh - the deployment does have internet access.  There used to be an option somewhere to return the license to Esri.  I wonder if that is an option still...?

Anyway - I plan to contact Customer Service in a few minutes for an updated file.  👍

Again, thank you for your help,
--Adam

DavidHoy
Esri Contributor

Hi Adam,

how did it go with Support? Was it something fundamentally wrong with the original .prvc?

0 Kudos
AdamRepsher_BentEar
New Contributor III

Hi @DavidHoy ,

Support had me use an old PRVC file (10.8 only)  - remove the Provision ID and use that. Ran the ArcGIS Enterprise Cloud Builder for AWS.

The logs said that the Upgrade Deployment FAILED - and it rolled back.  We gave up for the evening.
The next day, I just happened to open Portal/home - and it seemed to be working - but it wouldn't recognize the Hosting Server, because of a licensing issue.  I then checked Server Manager and noticed that it was running 10.8.1.  The same with Portal....

So - for some reason, the upgrade did not roll back.

I just ran the Software Authorization tool for Server with the last-generated Authorization Number.  Everything now works.

--Adam

DavidHoy
Esri Contributor
Thanks for the update
Glad you are finally back in action