Select to view content in your preferred language

Upgrading ArcGIS Enterprise in Azure using Cloud Builder - Help

01-25-2023 09:25 AM
Labels (1)
TonyCollins
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

A while ago we deployed ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8 (Single Machine) to Azure using Cloud builder, which now needs to be upgraded. This was a real problematic experience  due to an issue where the installer would take longer than Azure would allow for scripts. Consequently we are rather nervous to perform this upgrade.. 

From Reading the documentation, it looks like we need to again use Cloud Builder to perform this upgrade as this is how it was originally installed.

Although we can snapshot the OS disk before running, I am concerned Cloud Builder might modify existing Azure resource making rollback on error impossible.

Does anyone have experience upgrading 10.8 using Cloud Builder than can offer some advice?  

Would it be safest to first go to 10.8.1, based on how close that is to 10.8 or is it more sensible to upgrade all the way up to 11 to really future proof? I have concerns that a lot may have evolved in that deployment and it may not be that straight forward and change resource in Azure too?

Could any one offer any advice? 
Thanks

0 Kudos
11 Replies
TonyCollins
Occasional Contributor

Thank you,

Just discovered the geodb (Azure SQL) needs upgrading too as that is also on 10.8. This is only used by the Enterprise deployment for map services which, I think, is a registered database in the datastore. 

From the docs it looks like you upgrade the geodb after upgrading Enterprise with cloud builder does that sound right? 

0 Kudos
SimonAlfordEsriAU
Esri Contributor

Be sure to check this and other related documentation - https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/10.9.1/cloud/azure/upgrade-azure-deployments.htm

0 Kudos