Licensing for new AWS Cloudbuilder/CloudFormation deployments?

Jump to solution
01-15-2023 11:54 PM
dky
by
New Contributor III

Hi, 

Topic: Licensing for greenfield/brand-new ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1 deployment through AWS CloudBuilder / CloudFormation templates

Just wondering: How do I generate licenses for use with a (AWS) CloudBuilder/Cloudformation greenfield/brand-new deployment?

Both the licensing tool in my.esri.com (and my regional sales/support office) insist on a "Cloud Instance ID", of which does not exist prior to deployment. I can't fully PREP because I don't have a license and I can't generate a license because I don't have a Cloud Instance ID (which after a lot of research is basically "VM_UUID=ec2_instance_id") ...

I've tried even running CloudBuilder with an old (but valid) license which predictably results in a failed deployment. Despite the failed deployment, I have an instance id! However, there doesn't appear to be a way to "patch" the failed deployment with an updated license file; and redeployment results in a change in the instance ID. 

Did i miss a step or something in the documentation? 

Many thanks,

Derek

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherPawlyszyn
Esri Contributor

If you remove any licenses from the Portal for ArcGIS process that require license manager (ArcGIS Pro, Drone2Map, etc.), it won't require you to include the Cloud Instance ID to complete the license file generation portion. Once you successfully deploy the stack, you can go back and cancel your existing Portal for ArcGIS license in MyEsri, add the remaining add-on licenses, then include the Cloud Instance ID.

At that point you can re-import to Portal for ArcGIS as well as your installation of ArcGIS License Manager.

-- Chris Pawlyszyn

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ChristopherPawlyszyn
Esri Contributor

If you remove any licenses from the Portal for ArcGIS process that require license manager (ArcGIS Pro, Drone2Map, etc.), it won't require you to include the Cloud Instance ID to complete the license file generation portion. Once you successfully deploy the stack, you can go back and cancel your existing Portal for ArcGIS license in MyEsri, add the remaining add-on licenses, then include the Cloud Instance ID.

At that point you can re-import to Portal for ArcGIS as well as your installation of ArcGIS License Manager.

-- Chris Pawlyszyn
dky
by
New Contributor III

OMG 🤦🏻‍:male_sign:  Yea, I should have thought of that 

Thanks very much!

0 Kudos