AWS Instance for License Server Administrator and Name User Licenses for ArcGIS Pro. Has anyone gotten it to work?

08-17-2021 10:35 AM
Labels (1)
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hello, all! Hoping someone out there has some input on this.

Our Setup

• Portal 10.9
  • Amazon Web Services
  • Multi-machine deployment, not highly-available
  • Users on Pro 2.7 and 2.8

The Goal

We have an EC2 Instance we'd like to use for our LSA so that users can utilize ArcGIS Pro without being inside of our network. According to the March 2020 update to this whitepaper, licensing through a cloud machine should be possible now.

The Problem

When I try to generate a license file in My Esri, I am required to supply the host / domain for the machine in the format machine.domain. Looking at the Machine IDs window in LSA on the EC2 instance in question, the host and domain names appear to be the same.

According to the documentation in My Esri, what I'm looking for is the fully qualified domain name. That, from what I can see in other forums and support documents, is the EC2 instance's Public IPv4 DNS, which does look a little more like what I'm expecting.

Attempts

I have attempted to generate a license file using the Public IPv4 DNS, the host/domain listed in LSA, and various permutations of each. Nothing works. When I attempt to log in to the portal using Pro, it returns an error that it was unable to reach the LSA.

I can confirm that port 27000 is open on the EC2 instance, and that the LSA program is allowed through the machine's firewall. The EC2 security group settings are configured to allow port 27000 traffic as well.

Questions

Has anyone gotten this to work?

What should I be putting in as the host name when I generate my license file?

Are there additional settings / configurations I should be aware of that I did not list above?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

When generating the license file for Portal, did you select the Cloud Instance ID when you got to the license manager page?

lm_cloud.png

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I used the Cloud Instance ID, including the "VM_UUID=" bit.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
KFitzgerald
New Contributor

On your Portal Admin Page > License > Bottom of page > Update License Manager > 

•  {"hostname": "licensemanager.domain.com,backuplicensemanager.domain.com","port": 27000} all in JSON

OR

• Example: {"hostname": "Machine Name, Static IP", "port": 2700X}
  • Port of where your license manager is setup, your case 27000.

This is assuming your license file is correctly setup. I used my VM Machine name when generating the license file along with the Cloud instance ID and got it to work on my AWS EC2 instance.

https://developers.arcgis.com/rest/enterprise-administration/portal/update-license-manager.htm

Kevin Fitzgerald

City of Whitefish, MT

0 Kudos