When deleting / un-sharing a layer, warning of what maps / apps may be disrupted as a result!

08-01-2019 07:42 AM
CatherineClarke
New Contributor III

In a large organisation with more and more web maps and web apps being created, it is hard to keep track of all the places a data layer may be being used. Therefore, you may delete or un-share a layer and disrupt a web map / app functionality without even knowing!

My idea is for a warning message to appear before you delete or un-share an item ideally stating all the content that layer is present in or at least that it is in use elsewhere.

Yes you can delete protect items but for a layer a GIS admin has shared with all Portal user's, how are we to know who is using what layer in their web maps?! 

This idea came to mind recently when our general-use mapping app for the entire organisation (shared with 'Everyone' on Portal meaning you are not required to be a named user to view) stopped allowing anonymous user's to view because a layer sitting behind a custom locator had been un-shared. 

You would expect this just to produce the normal error message you get as a named user '...this layer cannot be added to the map...' but instead any anonymous user was denied access to the whole application re-directing them to the sign-in page. If a warning message had appeared when un-sharing the layer, the issue could have been resolved before locking user's out of the app!

6 Comments
JamesFerne

A list of dependencies would be really helpful in being able to manage Portal content more effectively. A great suggestion.

AnthonyRyanEQL

This is a good idea but I would like to see Esri provide a tool to manage all data dependencies from enterprise/file geodatabase, registered db connection, registered folder/file share, server site, server folder, feature class, layer, service, portal item, user owner, user's folder, web map, web app, etc.

At the moment, I'm using Sparx Enterprise Architect software to model this and it's hard work

JaapBoheemen

this would be great to have a pup-up indeed! We had the same issue. and we came up with a workable method.

We are using FME for this atm. we combine our content in ArcGIS online, our own ArcGIS server and our database into one big schema in excel that all within our organization can consult !!!before!!! deleting anything. FME is run daily and to my knowledge its the closest you  can get to your request atm.

To build and maintain the FME workbench is not a breeze, but to us it is worth it.

CatherineClarke

Good idea to use FME, is the workflow you use something you would be able to share with us please? We use FME regularly so I would be interested to see if I could do something similar for us.  

JaapBoheemen

its still a work in progress and we didn't make documentation yet. we build some AGOL readers by ourselves by using the HTTPCaller which reads as much data from AGOL and write those to inhouse database. For our ArcGIS server also with HTTPcaller. and the database you probable. The Reading part for AGOL is very very slow (takes bout 5-6 hours). We not ready yet to share our transformers and we don't have a deadline for this project so not sure if or when. hope this was any helpfull

ThomasBrophy

Great suggestion.  This is much needed ArcGIS Enterprise Portal!