Support Swagger for ArcGIS Server REST endpoints

02-27-2013 06:14 PM
DaveTimmins
Occasional Contributor II

The current REST API endpoints for the ArcGIS server services directory and administration allow you to get some useful information and test operations but the documentation is very basic and when complex inputs are required there is no help at all really. By adding Swagger support you could provide the user with a much richer experience and make the API more self documenting.

12 Comments
JenniferLang

It seems like many other APIs have a swagger page. Why hasn't ESRI followed industry best practice. I'd love to learn how it use it better and I find I learn better if I'm doing rather than reading pages and pages of documentation.

RPW
by

We also require Swagger / Open API support for our ArcGIS Server REST endpoints to register our web services with Azure API Management and data catalogues. Currently, we need to create Swagger files manually, and are considering developing a tool that could automate this process. However, it would be much easier if ArcGIS Server supported the Open API standard by default. I understand that GeoEvent Server supports Swagger, so there seems to be partial Esri support for it.

If anyone has tips or more information, it would be highly appreciated.