Support SVG Symbology in AGOL/Portal

05-01-2018 09:28 AM
JohnDye2
Occasional Contributor

ArcGIS Online's built-in symbology is...not great. ArcGIS Pro allows you to use SVG files for your layer symbology, but when the publishing process rasterizes the symbol making resizing the symbol post-publishing pretty terrible.

If Esri instead supported the use of SVG symbols natively in ArcGIS Online and Portal, this would not be a problem at all. Esri should also convert all of their built-in symbology to SVG instead of PNG. the only place for a raster in a webmap these days is satellite imagery.

9 Comments
JoshuaBixby

I couldn't agree more.  The support for SVG is quite poor across many of Esri's products still. 

MarcoLucafo_

I completely agree. I would also add the capability to view services in SVG format at least as an option. Since the capability is there and accessible through REST, at least for map services, it's a pity that we are stuck with the sub-par rendering of PNGs across the whole platform as a default, unless I am missing something

by Anonymous User

Will this be in next-gen AGOL? this could enable powerful data viz like QGIS

Joshua-Young

Not just symbology but universal SVG file support across the entire platform. Some examples that I can think of are thumbnails, uploaded image items (such as organization logos), Web App Builder/Experience Builder icons, etc..

SimonAllard2

I agree! Vote it up and make it happen 🙂

QuantitativeFuturist

Yes please, this would be very useful.

RyanBohan

I am surprised SVG are not supported in AGO or Enterprise Portal.  

If I was digitizing a road of course I would use a vector format so it would look good at any scale.  Why can't I use vectors for the symbology?

QuantitativeFuturist

Can we have an update on this please esri staff?

MaggieBusek
Status changed to: In Product Plan

Hello,

Thank you for this idea! This is currently possible in ArcGIS Online and will be coming imminently to a future release of ArcGIS Enterprise.

Best,
Maggie