Service Publish Warnings when working with Postgresql data

01-04-2021 10:58 AM
JesseHamlin1
New Contributor II

I've noticed certain widgets in Web AppBuilder and Ops Dashboard do not read data properly with services published with views coming from Postgresql.  Environment is ArcGIS Enterprise for Linux.  ArcGIS Pro publishes the services without any warnings.  Its only when you go to the apps mentioned above that the data does not read properly.  I've assembled the following for best practices: 

1. If a widget fails to read data from a feature service (e.g. summary viewer widget in wab), try adding your data as a query layer in ArcGIS Pro instead of adding it using the add data button.  Then bring the SQL query in manually and republish.

2. If data doesnt read in Ops dashboard for certian widgets, set a refresh interval on the layer in the web map.  This for some reason sorts things out. 

3.  Nulls in numeric data - Its good practice to set these nulls to 0 when you are trying to perform math functions (e.g. sum, count etc) on the layer in ops dashboard

My suggestion to the esri team working on desktop publishing is to provide warnings (e.g. if enterprise doesnt understand the view/query properly, if refresh layers need to be set on layers, if nulls need to be set to 0 on layers to the user prior to publishing if any of these cases occur).  This would prevent users from spending countless hours with esri support trying to figure out why the widgets in web applications in enterprise are not reading data properly. 

Jesse 

2 Comments
George_Thompson

Is the PostgreSQL DB a geodatabase or just a database with PostGIS enabled?

JesseHamlin1

database with postgis enabled