Portal - Create a general role privilege for "Mark as Authoritative"

11-19-2019 01:26 AM
JonasLeksell2
New Contributor III

I just found out that the mark as authoritative options in the Portal for ArcGIS is limited to the Portal administrators. I have been reading some other information and I get that it can be reasonable that not all can set this value, especially on AGOL. In our organization, we have a clear separation between the data owner and the organization that maintain and manages the Portal. A data owner is not allowed to have admin privileges, this comes by the reason that we have many departments some with higher security requirements.   

If a user is given any administrator privileges in the Portal this becomes translated as administrative privileges of all federated GIS Server. In other words they get access to all published services. This is another topic, but I can’t get why and would like to see a better separation of portal and server administrative privileges in the future.

I would like to suggest that a general privilege becomes implemented for roles like an organization data provider, including the ability to “mark as authoritative”.

2 Comments
by Anonymous User

Hi Jonas Leksell‌, thanks sharing your suggestion on this. As you mentioned, marking items as authoritative is limited to administrators so as to not open up the ability to over-mark items and reduce the meaning of the badge. In your organization, have you considered a tier between the data owner and administrator who has select admin privileges and can act as a type of 'content manager' with the ability to mark items as authoritative?

- Hilary

JonasLeksell2

Hi Hilary,

Thanks for responding!

The problem is as I mentioned, “If a user is given any administrator privileges in the Portal this becomes translated as administrative privileges of all federated GIS Server”. Due to information security demands within the organization we cannot allow any other staff than the management of the platform to have any administration privileges in the GIS portal, and dose cannot also be the curators of the content. This("Mark as Authoritative") is not the only limitation we get of this design, e.g. the “Create with update capabilities” group privileges is stuck as an administrator task to create, manage and own, and could be critical for a successful transition from file based sharing/managing of GIS content. Both of those abilities should in my mind, not be an administrative privilege as long as an administrative portal privilege gives mentioned access to federated servers.

Regards, Jonas