Filter services listed in ArcGIS Server Manager

03-24-2021 09:12 AM
Joshua-Young
Occasional Contributor III

Add the ability to filter the services shown in a folder based on predefined criteria. The UI could be similar to how ArcGIS Portal does filtering. Some of the filter categories/options could be:

• type
  • status
  • instance type
  • tags
  • capabilities (I think this would be populated by common capabilities depending on the service type filter currently selected. So if there are no common capabilities then this category would be blank.)
6 Comments
berniejconnors

Joshua - you can do this now in ArcGIS Server Manager.  This screen capture explains it all:

Filter services in ArcGIS Server ManagerFilter services in ArcGIS Server Manager

Joshua-Young

Yes sir, but I am looking for something more like the ArcGIS Portal filter UI. That way I do not have to remember what the various keywords are and I can combine criteria. Currently the search functionality is very limited.

limitations-of-server-manager-search.jpg

ArcGIS Portal 10.8.1 filter UI example:

arcgis-portal-filter-ui.jpg

Todd_Metzler

Hello,

As ArcGIS Enterprise has evolved, so has the method of UI access for our administrative tasks.  In a full single stack configuration, we seldom use Server Manager UI any more.  Instead, we do nearly all our service management on the Portal side in the Portal UI or Portal Admin.

Suggest checking Esri's ArcGIS Enterprise road map.  From our conversations with Esri on this subject, it is my expectation that down the road, not far down the road either, Server as we now know it won't be a sub-component any longer in ArcGIS Enterprise and Portal will extend to be the main core component.

Joshua-Young

We still have many non-hosted GIS services, so I have to use ArcGIS Server Manager to manage those non-hosted GIS services. I would love it if the functionality in ArcGIS Server Manager made its way into ArcGIS Portal because that would simplify administration and provide a consistent UI to manage ArcGIS Enterprise in.

As the number of non-hosted GIS services has increased the need for filter tools and bulk change settings tools would greatly help with the way the ArcGIS Server is currently designed. Bulk publishing has made the lack of filters and bulk change settings tools more noticeable as of late.

Todd_Metzler

Hello,

Please accept my apology.  I'll clarify my prior submission.  If your ArcGIS Enterprise single stack/base config includes a federated/hosting server, then nearly all administrative tasks for services can be performed in Portal UI whether they are hosted feature layer type or not.

Hope this helps.

Todd

Joshua-Young

No need to apologize. I appreciated your comments, especially that Esri has plans to improve their server software stack. I just wanted to clarify the issue that I am running into that prompted me to submit this idea. 

We use a mix of hosted and non-hosted GIS services, so I am always going back and forth between ArcGIS Server Manager and ArcGIS Portal to manage all of our services. It does make more sense to expand ArcGIS Portal to manage non-hosted feature services, than it does to port ArcGIS Portal's filter functionality to ArcGIS Server Manager.