Customizable Use of Metadata in Filters

04-12-2023 09:14 AM
JamesTchorzynski1
New Contributor III

I would like to see an interface for admins under the organization tab of ArcGIS Enterprise to pick which categories from metadata can show in the filters for portal searches (reference Filters attachment).  

Currently, they are locked to:

1. Categories
  2. Item Type
  3. Location
  4. Date Modified
  5. Date Created
  6. Tags
  7. Sharing
  8. Status
  9. Distributed Collaborations

But, it would be better if I could opt to remove some of these filters I know my users aren't interested in and introduce other things from the standard metadata such as:

• Resource Constraints - Security Classification
  • Resource Constraints - Access Constraints
  • Resource Constraints - Use Constraints
  • Themes Keywords
  • Place Keywords
  • Temporal Keywords
  • Discipline keywords
  • Stratum keywords
  • Dataset identifiers
  • Dataset names
  • Point of Contact
  • Update Frequency
  • Attribute labels (features with X attribute show)
  • Language
  • etc.

The above list is not comprehensive, but does serve to illustrate a point that customizing how filters are presented to an ArcGIS Enterprise user base could cover a wide array of unique functions we Enterprise users would take advantage of.  

3 Comments
JeffreySchmidt3000

In addition to this, make each search venue as similar as possible. Enterprise 10.9.1 has a few venues... map viewer, map viewer classic, content, search, gallery, sites, web app builder widgets, experience builder.  Couple that with Pro's content pane, content view and add data window.  The filters between these spaces are mix and match.  There is very little consistency from one venue to the next.  Aligning these search spaces would make my job of training staff to search for data much easier.   

JamesTchorzynski1

Agree with JeffreySchmidt3, if we follow through with this idea an effort should be made to ensure it permeates through the other product teams so that those interfaces reflect the same custom filters dictated by the ArcGIS Enterprise governance policies.  

jill_es
Status changed to: Under Consideration