Customizable Portal Sign-in Page

02-14-2020 10:09 AM
EricPeña
Occasional Contributor

It would be great if future versions of Portal provided the ability to customize the sign-in page to allow custom sign-in instructions and branding.  We currently have to edit portal system html and javascript files that seem to change with each upgrade. 

23 Comments
mwartman_grey

👍

This would save soooo many user login help requests if we can just explain what username to use on the login screen itself!

MaggieBusek
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Thank you for your Idea! Are your needs currently met with the home page editor? If not, could you please provide more details on additional improvements you are seeking. 

Thank you! 

bberry
by

@MaggieBusek while I didn't submit this idea, I have been following it for quite a while. The home page editor does not meet these needs. This idea pertains to the login screen that's presented before a user can get to the home page. This page:

bberry_1-1694023375196.png

We want to be able to edit this page and provide useful instructions to users. I believe that many of us here represent admins that use Portal logins that come from Active Directory. We get a lot of inquiries from people who do not know their username and password, because they don't realize they should be using their AD username and password. To be able to provide help text, company branding, and contact info on this login page would save us so much time and help our users to login successfully. As far as I am aware the only way to configure this page is an unsupported workflow - editing config files.

Please let me know if you need any other info and I'll be happy to elaborate. I would LOVE to see this idea implemented.

CharmaleeSandanayake1

I didn't create the idea but I think the issue is that we would like to be able to edit the Portal login page, before anyone gets to the home page. Users click on a desktop icon or link to Portal and are sent to the login page.  Often, users get confused as to whether they have to put in their whole email,  username with domain, or AGOL login etc. It would be great to add instructions directly on this screen:

portal_login_page.JPG

RuchiraWelikala2

Hi @EmmaG , I believe OP was referring to this:signinpage_portal.PNG

It's the actual Sign In page when you go to Portal Sign in. I was able to modify it as seen in the photo making some adjustments on the backend but it is very difficult and cumbersome. It would be great if ESRI provided an interface to do this, much like it has done for other aspects of Portal for customizing. 

JimmyMillar_npdc

As the last couple posts have mentioned it would be great to be able to customise the login page to provide additional instructions to users, in particular with our implementation of active directory.

While we could go in to the backend and customise it ourselves it would be great to have a proper interface to add some additional element to this page. 

JimmyMillar_npdc_0-1694034090625.png

schenardi

I confirm that we have many support requests with "failed sign in".

We configured and use SAML Authentication against Azure AD which ends up in a second button below the other one. But users often enter their company username and password (!) into the ArcGIS Login form instead of pressing the button which would forward them to the Azure AD Signin page. 

schenardi_laixo_0-1694072406015.png

MaggieBusek

Thank you for the additional information! This detail is helpful as we continue to track this request.

ChristophK

Agreed with the above, we have a custom application connected behind Portal login with SAML that requires manual user approval. Being able to write some information about this onto the login page would be very helpful.

DavidSolari

This would be a massive boon for our org, our #1 source of user issues is failing to login correctly. The two biggest features we'd like to see are:

1. A customizable header that includes our logo and instructions.
  2. The ability to make one of the login options much less prominent (in our case, the ArcGIS Login section). The current login layout treats both methods as equally valid which is unsuitable for 99% of our users and leads to confusion, an option to make that section harder to interact with would be great.