Allow the restoration of a single item with WebgisDR

06-26-2018 05:28 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We're running a 10.6 ArcGIS Enterprise site consisting of a portal and a redundant server site with a single ArcGIS Datastore (just relational & tile), together with several enterprise database connections. Our portal's got a lot of content, some of them complicated layers, some of them mere references to external services. Out of our many users, it happens once in a blue monday that someone deletes something they weren't supposed to... No issue, we have a back-up... one would think... WebGisDR is sadly just a full deal... we'd love to be able to restore just a single item from backup! Preferably easy (WebGisDR is easy to a command-line fault but it could be easier!). Attached you'll find an example. It'd be lovely to get that back on its same position!

5 Comments
by Anonymous User

Hi Guus,

Have you considered enabling delete protection on your items so that users can't accidentally delete something?

John_Spence

Having just completed installation of Portal and am now looking at where users can go down the rabbit whole, this would be one.  I have to tell users that I am sorry for that they spent hours doing something that they now lost.

by Anonymous User

Hi John and Guus, at 10.8.1, Enterprise now has the ability to export the contents of a group. You could add those particular items into a group and export into a .zip for safe keepings. That .zip could then be imported back into your environment (or another) in the case that something was accidentally deleted. Here is the documentation on the topic and we will have a blog on it available soon:

Export Group Content—ArcGIS REST API | ArcGIS for Developers 

Import Group Content—ArcGIS REST API | ArcGIS for Developers  

John_Spence

I'll have to take a look at that.  I just deployed it the other week so I'm trying to wrangle all the "didn't think of that" stuff at the moment.  Thank you for mentioning it and sending links.

by Anonymous User

You're very welcome John. There is also an Esri technical paper that may have some helpful strategies as you get started, specifically around content management in the ArcGIS Enterprise portal:

Content Management Techniques for your ArcGIS Enterprise portal