Add an option to hide esri_apps content in Portal

03-18-2020 04:35 PM
Yann-EricBoyeau
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I could not find a way to filter the "esri_apps" items that are listed in the organisation content @ Portal 10.7.1

Such an option exists for Living Atlas. ESRI should also give an option to hide esri_apps's contents or have them only visible when looking specifically for AGOL content or Marketplace content.

Portal content should be fully customizable to the organization's needs.

Forcing visibility to unused and unknown applications with multiple references bring confusion to the organization's users.

For example, forced display of this content does not feel like UX best practices

Thank you ESRI for the great work that you do with ArcGIS for Entreprise, hope to see it even more UX designed.  

18 Comments
HilaryBrowning2

I am also very interested in seeing any of these options implemented, and agree with others that it makes for a challenging user experience. All of these extra items in Portal make it seem like a messy, cluttered, unmanaged place that isn't being actively stewarded. Which is very discouraging to new users.

PLadd
by

This is annoying.  One workaround I think might help is to categorize all of your organization's apps (I use "Not ArcGIS").  It's a little tedious the first time through - especially if you've already built lots of apps.

Then when I'm looking for an app, I can filter on categories and only show those apps that are "Not ArcGIS" which I know are the ones in my org.

PLadd_0-1674068699575.png

BeateKost

I've also addressed this topic to Esri Germany and clearly stated, that as a Portal admin I excpect to have full control over the items displayed in my Portal. The only option I seem to have is to upvote this "idea", so I will do this at least. It's really not comprehensible that we have to cope with over 300 unwanted items in a Portal installation on our own infrastructure which can't be deleted or at least hidden while the ArcGIS Online organisation comes along without any advertising items like the already mentioned links to product pages. Our 500+ users work with the Portal directly and it's annoying and confusing if more than 20 % of the items in our Portal is unwanted and not needed content.

StuartPowling

I totally agree with previous comments @GregCarlino2  - these are just annoying advertising links that shouldn't be there in the first place. It's quite shocking that they can't be removed or hidden either. We have paid for a nice new Enterprise installation ... that is now full of complete rubbish that we can't delete!!! 

Enterprise will be confusing enough for our users without these totally unnecessary items on show.

This is really disappointing and it devalues Enterprise and the organisation of our items in Enterprise.

PLEASE STOP THIS!

SusanLMoore

Agree with all of the comments. These esri_apps items don't apply to any of our users, and the fact that we can't completely eliminate them is very frustrating. Let us pick and choose what gets installed and displayed to our users. 

cdevault_pickett

100% agree with everything here. I came across this thread after I noticed that all of these items were appearing in my portal's public gallery. All of these items are hiding the things I would actually want the public to find. For now I have disabled the Gallery for public view.

Laura
by MVP Regular Contributor

Agree with everything mentioned. I was trying to group and delete data from my portal when I came across this and it automatically made me feel messy and less encouraged to go look through it all. It hasn't been touched once in 5 years. 

AbeCoughlin
Thanks Laura.
I understand ESRI wanting to 'market' their products, but these aren't items like apps, maps or data..., they are tools that can be accessed to make use of the data and more.
I would suggest, if the executive requires them to maintain it, that a separate access point, much like the app widget in the header would be a better location. As long as it is separate from our data items.
Have a great 2024!