This Week's Picks - ArcGIS Enterprise #3

11-13-2019 08:26 AM
jill_es
Esri Contributor
10 5 3,064

Happy GIS Day, ArcGIS Enterprise enthusiasts!  For the third round of This Week's Picks - ArcGIS Enterprise, we're going  to be focusing on following buzzwords:

1. Federation.
  2. Collaboration.
  3. Shared instances.

These are buzzwords that we hear all the time in the Enterprise world and, even if you know what these words mean, we're going to take a deeper dive by looking into content that not only explains the jargon but why it is significant to those who work with ArcGIS Enterprise.  With that in mind, let's dive right in!

1. Federation.

When federation was first introduced as a concept in the days of just ArcGIS Server and Portal for ArcGIS (pre-ArcGIS Enterprise days), I honestly thought it was this intense IT workflow that you may or may not have success with.  Taking the time to learn about it though, I learned that federation isn't scary at all.  Federation just means that Portal for ArcGIS takes over ArcGIS Server's security.  When this takes place, there also can be some gotchas - such as all items will now be owned by the user who set up the federation.  This blog by our friends at Esri Canada goes into more detail, including how to federate, so check it out for yourself here.

2. Collaboration.

This is something my colleague, Peter Klingman, covered not too long in the ArcGIS Online space but I want to bring it up again because collaboration is one of those phrases that users may understand at a high level but may not be clear on the details.  Introduced in ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5.1, distributed collaboration allows for you to connect and integrate your GIS across a network of participants by sharing content - either between ArcGIS Enterprise and ArcGIS Online or two different ArcGIS Enterprise instances.  With distributed collaboration comes some even more buzzwords: host, guest, workspace, synchronization - the list goes on!  While it can be daunting, this Esri Canada video breaks it down; check it out here.

3. Shared instances.

Introduced in ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7, shared instances often come up as a solution to those experiencing performance-related issues. Shared instances could be a great solution to your performance conundrum but they're of no use to you if you don't know what they are, how, or even if you should implement them in your ArcGIS Enterprise deployment.  The elevator pitch is that shared instances allow for multiple web services to share resources (ArcSOCs) on the ArcGIS Server machine.  But take a look for yourself by reading Scott M. MacDonald's blog here.

Hopefully that helped provide some insight into those Enterprise heavy buzzwords.  Please feel free to reach out in the comments below  if there are any outstanding questions  As always, thanks for reading and be sure to check out This Week's Picks - ArcGIS Online‌ and ArcGIS Pro - and stay tuned for the next ArcGIS Enterprise installment coming on Wednesday, December 4th.

5 Comments
TarunJaiswal
Esri Contributor

Nice! Thank you for sharing!

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Awesome Article!  Thanks Jill

LinderRingo
Esri Contributor

Great resource. Thanks Jill!

JTessier
Occasional Contributor II

Hi, your link to Scott MacDonalds blog shows: "

400 Bad Request

Request Header Or Cookie Too Large"
Is the link broken?
jill_es
Esri Contributor

Thanks for letting me know!  That's strange, it's still working for me.  Regardless, the blog is accessible here: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-enterprise/administration/shared-instances-arcgis-s....

About the Author
Product Manager | ArcGIS Enterprise