Viewing SPK files in ArcGIS Earth

07-16-2016 09:34 AM
YigalMuntner
New Contributor III

Got the new ArcGIS Earth 1.2.1. I'm trying to load 2 SPK files that were create by Bentley's Context Capture (mesh), But I get: 'Unknown error occured'. If I load the same SPK file to ArcGIS Online, everything is OK and I can see the mesh. How can I use these files in ArcGIS Earth? See the attached screen shots.

Yigal

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

from your images, I can't tell whether your settings and file coordinate systems match or enough information to make a match... this is a reference from the help files

• Spatial Reference (restart required)ArcGIS Earth always displays data in the WGS84 Global Coordinate System. Web Mercator is used as the default spatial reference for incoming Esri REST services. If you want to view service-based data in the WGS84 coordinate system, you'll need to change the spatial reference setting and restart ArcGIS Earth.
0 Kudos
YigalMuntner
New Contributor III

Dan,

I'm not talking about a service. I'm talking about loading an  SPK file from my computer to ArcGIS Earth, which does not work.

Loading the SPK to ArcGIS Online was ok. A scene service was created and I was able to load the service to ArcGIS Earth. The data is WGS84.

Yigal

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The last time I heard, development was going to be directed to getting more formats brought online... before UC

perhaps Chris Andrews might have more info.  see Jasmine's Jasmine Du  comment https://community.esri.com/message/608609#comment-608609

0 Kudos
XuewenZhang
Esri Contributor

Hi Yigal,

The SPK should work in ArcGIS Earth V1.2.1. Could you share your SPK to us to debug the issue?

Thanks,

Xuewen

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi folks,

Just today,  I discovered that Bentley has a minor issue with their SPK files. I've let them know.  The way to get them to work is:

1. Use 7ZIP to unzip the file (it will take a few minutes if its very large) into a folder

2. Go into that folder and select all the items and use 7ZIP to add the items to a new archive.  Make sure to set the compression level to “Store.” (This means there will be zero compression.)

3. Rename the file to change .zip to .spk

From there, it works fine locally in Earth.

Thanks, Chris

1.      Use 7ZIP to unzip the file (it will take a few minutes) into a folder

2.      Go into that folder and select all the items and use 7ZIP to add the items to an archive.  Make sure to set the compression level to “Store.”

3.      Rename the file to change .zip to .spk

From there, it works fine locally in Earth.

AitorCalero_García
Esri Contributor

Hi Xuewen, I have the exact same problem with an SPK file. It does not load in Earth and it shows an unknow error.

See screenshot below:

ScreenClip [1].png

0 Kudos
XuewenZhang
Esri Contributor

Hi Aitor,

Maybe you can try Chris' method. It works for me.

1. Use 7ZIP to unzip the file (it will take a few minutes if its very large) into a folder

2. Go into that folder and select all the items and use 7ZIP to add the items to a new archive.  Make sure to set the compression level to “Store.” (This means there will be zero compression.)

3. Rename the file to change .zip to .spk

If you still can't add it in ArcGIS Earth, could you share your SPK for us to debug the issue?

Thanks,

Xuewen

YigalMuntner
New Contributor III

I managed to view the file in ArcGIS Earth using this scenario. The problem is that now I could not publish the SPK to my AGOL subscription, and got an error loading the scene layer to the web scene.

0 Kudos