Select to view content in your preferred language

Uploading of Large size KML freezes ArcGIS Earth

Jump to solution
02-05-2019 10:23 PM
RishitaSantra
New Contributor

Hi Team,

I am using the latest free version of ArcGIS Earth to load KML and view the paths in Earth.My KML file size is around 300+ MB .I am using windows 7 with 8 GB RAM,i5 -2 cores CPU.The system requirements are met for ArcGIS Earth ,when I try to load this large size KML, Earth gets freezes and system itself gets hanged.it takes around more than 10 mins to load properly.
I have few points to clarify:
1)Is there any settings to be done in GIS Earth which will load kml faster .?
2)Will the licensed version of GIS Earth solve the issue.?
3)I can see in Earth..it starts connecting to the server when it loads,Can this be skipped ..like Can I have a local copy or offline mode of Earth instead of connecting and downloading the whole imagery and then plotting the path.??
I have attached the sample kml zip file.Please unzip it and try loading it in Earth.

Any help from your side will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rishita

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mandy_Li
Esri Contributor

Hi Rishita,

Thanks for your feedback and thanks for attaching the data for investigating! I tried it with ArcGIS Earth 1.8, it freezes my operating system as well, unfortunately. However, I added it to the upcoming ArcGIS Earth 1.9 (yet to be released), it does not hang and takes only seconds to load, by compromising a bit of the rendering performance. ArcGIS Earth 1.9 will soon be released around 2019 Dev Summit, you might want to try it then. 

Regarding your question:

1. As ArcGIS Earth evolves, we will continue improving app performance, in both loading speed and rendering effect.

2. ArcGIS Earth is a free product, a licensed version might be available in future.

3. ArcGIS Earth is designed to be fully operational under disconnected environment or behind the firewall. So if you have identical local data stored on your machine, you do not need to connect to the network/server to add a service. There is plenty of local data/package format that Esri provides to create that are supported in Earth, such as tile package, scene layer package, local raster, and shapefile.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Mandy

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Mandy_Li
Esri Contributor

Hi Rishita,

Thanks for your feedback and thanks for attaching the data for investigating! I tried it with ArcGIS Earth 1.8, it freezes my operating system as well, unfortunately. However, I added it to the upcoming ArcGIS Earth 1.9 (yet to be released), it does not hang and takes only seconds to load, by compromising a bit of the rendering performance. ArcGIS Earth 1.9 will soon be released around 2019 Dev Summit, you might want to try it then. 

Regarding your question:

1. As ArcGIS Earth evolves, we will continue improving app performance, in both loading speed and rendering effect.

2. ArcGIS Earth is a free product, a licensed version might be available in future.

3. ArcGIS Earth is designed to be fully operational under disconnected environment or behind the firewall. So if you have identical local data stored on your machine, you do not need to connect to the network/server to add a service. There is plenty of local data/package format that Esri provides to create that are supported in Earth, such as tile package, scene layer package, local raster, and shapefile.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Mandy

RishitaSantra
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply.When will the ArcGIS Earth 1.9 will get release?If possible can I get a local copy of ArcGIS Earth 1.9 so that i can also try the same.?

0 Kudos
Mandy_Li
Esri Contributor

It is planned to release around dev summit, which is one month away from now. 

0 Kudos
XuewenZhang
Esri Contributor

Hi Rishita,

ArcGIS Earth V1.9 is already live and you can get it from ArcGIS Earth | ArcGIS  

Thanks,

Xuewen