Search based on map layers

07-07-2022 09:04 AM
GISAdmin39
New Contributor II

We're looking at using ArcGIS Earth more in our company, but one of the things we've noticed is that the search function doesn't honor those of the webmap being used. For example, we have a webmap (enterprise Portal) with a lot of parcels for a project that is configured to allow us to search by PIN. If I bring that webmap into ArcGIS Earth, we can't easily search by PIN anymore. Is there a setting that allows for this somewhere, or is it not yet supported?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoeZhengLi
Esri Contributor

Hi GISAdmin39,

Thanks for sharing your workflow. In the upcoming release of ArcGIS Earth, we will support adding filter expressions for layers in the TOC. By configuring the filters plus the attribute table, you may be able to achieve something close to search-by-PIN in your project. I know this might not be exactly what you are looking for, so please feel free to try it and also share with us more details of your current workflow, such as how/where you search the PIN, and we can review it and consider enhancing the existing functions in the ArcGIS Earth app. You can send your feedback to ArcGISEarth_Feedback@esri.com. Thanks!

Joe

0 Kudos
NWhittaker
New Contributor II

Our company is in the same boat as GISAdmin39. Going the roundabout way of a filter expression seems a bit convoluted. On the portal we have the ability to enable search by layer in the web map settings, which says it enables the search in applications that access the web map. I assumed this would include Earth, but it does not. It would be nice if this were enabled in ArcGIS Earth, not just in Field Maps Mobile. Another suggestion is to enable a "Find" search in the feature attribute tables, similar to the "Find and Replace" in ArcGIS Pro. Either of these options would be preferable to our employees. Don't get me wrong, the Filter by Expression is useful, but not ideal as a quick search function, especially when trying to convince an entire organization that using Esri products for spatial data management is superior to Google Earth kmzs.

0 Kudos
JoeZhengLi
Esri Contributor

Hi @NWhittaker ,

Thanks for your comments and ideas about improving the search tool. The use case you described sounds quite valid to me and will definitely help us improve the relevant features of the app. The filter in the attribute table was introduced in the last few releases and the related functions are still iterating with enhancements. Please feel free to share with us more details of your workflow in which Find and Replace is used and your story could help us prioritize our backlog items. As always you can reach us at ArcGISEarth_Feedback@esri.com. Thanks again for your valuable feedback! 

Regards,

Joe

0 Kudos