Select to view content in your preferred language

No logical layer drawing order

07-05-2024 01:42 AM
StefanAlbers
New Contributor II

Hello, I've loaded multiple shapefiles into ArcGIS Earth and discovered that the order the layers are in is not the same order the layers are drawn on the map. I can see no logic behind the drawing order. Whether a layer is at the very top or at the very bottom, the features in it all get drawn on the map. However, when that layer is at the bottom, the features should be blocked by the features in the layers above it and not be visible in the map. I've also had the case that even though a layer is at the very top it doesn't get drawn on the map. Instead the layer below it is shown. 

Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
YitongHe
Esri Contributor

Hello, our developers tested the shapefile and found no issues. Some questions need to be confirmed:
1. Is there any inclusion point- If there is, because it is rendered and displayed in a billboard style, it will always be on top, and the lines and surfaces cannot cover it
2. If there are no points and everything is surface, is there an elevation set for a certain layer?
3. What is the data being tested? Can you provide a screenshot?fed99c4e-8c4d-49e5-a892-b930900697d1.jpg

0 Kudos
StefanAlbers
New Contributor II

Hello,

I've created a case with the Esri technical support and the support team was able to reproduce the error. It's apparently a data-specific bug which appears with some shapefiles but not all. 

There's no elevation to any of the layers and the elevation mode is draped.

I've tested with this dataset (Digitale Verwaltungsgrenzen - niedrige Stützpunktdichte - Paketierung: gesamt NRW) which includes multiple polygon layers but also with shapefiles I created in ArcGIS Pro. 

0 Kudos
StefanAlbers
New Contributor II

A bug request has been submitted to Esri Inc. for this issue. Since we could replicate the error with data from multiple different sources we're now speculating that it's not a data-specific bug but rather a software bug.

0 Kudos