Measure tool and Bookmarks tool bugs report and other recommendations.

Jump to solution
02-19-2023 03:05 AM
PhucTran1
New Contributor III

Our organization has been using ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Pro, and ArcGIS Earth to present integrated mesh, 3D models, buildings, and point cloud SLPKs. 

When working with ArcGIS Earth 1.17, we notice some bugs that are existing within the application. 

1. The measuring tool has 6 features. The point ruler (first feature) and the 3D measure ruler (last feature) recognize the integrated mesh slpk and 3D model slpk so the pointer clips on their surfaces and give correct measurements (locations, lengths, elevations). However, other features/rulers do not recognize the surfaces; they clip on the terrain instead of the slpk surfaces. The equivalent measuring tools on ArcGIS Online work very well. They recognize the mesh surfaces and give an elevation profile between the selected points on the mesh surfaces instead of the terrain. 

2. For the bookmarks tool, the saved bookmarks do not correctly remember all selected layers. Even after we updated the bookmarks or created new ones, sometimes they automatically turn on unselected layers or turn off selected layers (usually KML/KMZ layers that are bugged). 

3. When editing the KMZ groups, changing the symbology of the 'parent' layer will change the symbology of the 'children' layers within that KMZ. However, when we change the transparency or size of the 'parent' layer, the transparency and size of all 'children' layers do get changed but they also change from a variety of colors into one color (default red from in the 'parent' layer's symbology). 

4. We can not change the resolution/size of the pop-up for imported photos or descriptions in the Properties/Info feature of KMZ Layers. 

We also have some recommendations that hopefully get updated into ArcGIS Earth soon.

ArcGIS Earth 1.17 currently does not support Buildings Scene Layer Packages from ArcGIS Pro or ArcGIS Online. When will it support them, please?

ArcGIS Online has a slicing tool to show the section views of the area. Hopefully, ArcGIS Earth will implement those similar features soon, or even be available to purchase.                    

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XuewenZhang
Esri Contributor

Thanks, Khoi.

When investigating this bug, I also found another bug with the visibility of KML layers after restarting Earth. We will do more tests and enhance KMZ layers' visibility related to the bookmark tool.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Best,

Xuewen

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jsphillips
Esri Contributor

Good morning,

Thank you so much for your detailed feedback @PhucTran1. As the product manager for ArcGIS Earth, I love hearing from our users. Would you be willing to meet with me and discuss some of the issues you are experiencing? If so, please send me an email and I will coordinate a date and time with you. In the interim, would it be possible to share a sample dataset with us so the dev team can begin investigating the bugs? Any data, screenshots, etc. really help us diagnose and fix issues. Again, thank you so much for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

John Phillips | Product Manager ArcGIS Earth
Esri | jphillips@esri.com | T 757 575 0786
0 Kudos
PhucTran1
New Contributor III

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I would be glad to have a meeting with you to discuss the mentioned issues. Please do contact me by email. 

Organizational email: phuc_trantan@portcoast.com.vn

Personal email: 2104.khoitran@gmail.com

Khoi | Portcoast

0 Kudos
XuewenZhang
Esri Contributor

Hi @PhucTran1,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions, they are really helpful to us.

Besides a potential discussion with our PM @jsphillips, I want to add some comments for your feedback.

1. For the layers visibility bug related to the bookmark tool, could you please help to share more details (either data or screenshots are helpful)? I have tested some KML and it works well on my side. 
  2. The bug of KMZ group editing will be fixed, but it will be included in the next release after the coming 1.18.
  3. For the display of images in the Popup, we will have an enhancement to display images to fit the width of the Popup window if its size is too large. This will also be included in the release after the coming 1.18.

Other bugs or suggestions you mentioned, will definitely be in our backlog. Thank you.

Best,

Xuewen

0 Kudos
PhucTran1
New Contributor III

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I am glad to hear about upcoming updates for ArcGIS Earth. 

For the layers visibility bug related to the bookmark tool, I do not know how to express it with screenshots. It is just some KMZ layers get automatically turned on even when I do not select them. I have tried to unselect them and update the bookmark, delete them and create a new bookmark with those layers off, but it still has the same bugs sometimes. 

I would appreciate if we can have a meeting like @jsphillips has proposed. 

Thank you again.

Khoi | Portcoast

0 Kudos
XuewenZhang
Esri Contributor

Thanks, Khoi.

When investigating this bug, I also found another bug with the visibility of KML layers after restarting Earth. We will do more tests and enhance KMZ layers' visibility related to the bookmark tool.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Best,

Xuewen

0 Kudos