How to import line for Elevation profile?

03-11-2019 02:13 PM
TimB
by
New Contributor III

Currently i can draw a line and generate an elevation profile from that line (by right clicking in the TOC).  Is there ANY way to IMPORT a line for doing this?  If i pull in a kml line, there is not option (that i can find) for generating an elevation profile. I would also be fine importing points, then making a line from those points.  However, i can't find a way to do this either.

Basically, i would like ANY ability to import a line from an existing file (preferably not a shapefile) and THEN generate an elevation profile for that line.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Mandy_Li
Esri Contributor

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your feedback! The capability of generating elevation profile from an existing file is currently supported in  ArcGIS Earth (the latest version 1.9). The team will consider adding this enhancement in the future release. 

Thanks,

Mandy

0 Kudos
TimB
by
New Contributor III

Thanks for your reply!  Could you explain a little further:  you mentioned  that "The capability of generating elevation profile from an existing file is currently supported in  ArcGIS Earth (the latest version 1.9).".  I just upgraded from 1.8 to 1.9 and can't seem to find this.  I can see how to generate an elevation profile from a drawn line, OR by using the interactive analysis (button looks like a cube), but i can't see how to import a line (either from KML or CSV) and THEN generate an elevation profile from it.  Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Mandy_Li
Esri Contributor

My bad...it's a typo. "the capability of generating elevation profile from an existing file is currently NOT supported in  ArcGIS Earth (the latest version 1.9)." 

0 Kudos