Conversion from Google Earth to ArcGIS Pro

05-16-2023 11:26 PM
kaiju8
by
New Contributor

Hello all!

Some background first: I work for a large company that owns numerous other companies that all have a large real estate portfolio. For a dozen years before I started, the company kept a master Google Earth .kml file with the boundaries of our real estate portfolio, neatly sorted by the following hierarchy:

Operating Company 2) Property Code

Within each property code there is a boundary for the tax parcel, the boundary of what we lease, and finally a little pin that has the property code:

My company understands that I have some ArcGIS experience, and would like to switch to mapping our properties on ArcGIS..so I have been tasked with this process.

My problem is that when I convert a .kml to a layer, it throws all points and polygons together in two layers.

I want to separate these two features in a way similar to how we have it in Google Earth where I have a group layer for each Operating Company and within each Operating Company group I would like all of the properties occupied by that company. Is this possible? The closest I have got it so use the "split" function to split into however many features and separate those myself.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Split By Attributes (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

will split a featureclass into separate ones based on a common attribute (perhaps Operating Company) if it exists in the table.  You would have to organize the resultant into a group layer when done

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos