Combine multiple gdb feature datasets into single layer failed using Append and Merge Tools

01-29-2020 12:03 PM
JudyFrauman
New Contributor

I am trying to combine about a dozen gdb polyline (river and stream) feature datasets into a single layer.  The multiple feature datasets come from an outside source and they would like to see these combined to analyze one of the fields in the attribute tables.  The shape files include grid data, with Grid 1 data being different for each one, and Grids 2 and 3 being 0.  A number of other fields include domains, but only a few of them differ slightly from dataset to dataset.

I am using ArcGIS 10.6.  I've used the following methods each resulting in the problems mentioned below:

Merge Tool - There should have been a total of close to 100,000 records when the datasets were merged, but only about 40,000 were in the final merged dataset.  One of the feature datasets had about 50,000 records and only 1 of them ended up in the merged dataset.

As a test, I tried to combine only two of the datasets using Append:

Append Tool – I didn't want to alter the first (target) dataset, so I made a copy of it.  This was one with less than 100 records.  I tried appending the large (50,000) dataset to it (the grid value differed in the shape field, but the domain entries were the same for the other fields).  It ended up appending the data to the original (target) dataset, not just the copy, which was not desired.

Append Tool – Instead of copying an existing dataset, I created a new feature class, importing the fields from the target dataset I had used in the attempt above.  When I tried to append a dataset to it, nothing was imported into the new feature class.  When I looked at the field properties, no grid information was showing for the shape field, and none of the fields included a domain.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated! 

Thank you,

Judy

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

From Pros' help

Merge—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

what did you do with field mapping?

and are all the files in the same coordinate system?

0 Kudos
JudyFrauman
New Contributor

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the quick reply back.  To be frank, I didn't do anything with field mapping primarily because I am new at GIS and I wasn't sure how to handle it.  I did check it to see if field mapping included the shape field, which it didn't, and if it mentioned anything about domain, which it didn't.

I double checked the CS's (projected & geographic) and all are the same.

Judy

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The features all have to be of the same geometry type (eg polygons merge with polygons, points with points etc).

As for field mapping... that is a long but important read if you have fields that are named differently between tables but actually contain the same variable.

As for domains... I don't work with them, nor ArcMap, so you will have to check its specific help topic, way at the bottom under the 

Environments   section

These are the parameters that the Merge tool supports, and your field domains and subtypes and attribute rules are covered there.

Default Output Z Value, M Resolution, M Tolerance, Output XY Domain, Output Coordinate System, Extent, Current Workspace, Geographic Transformations, Scratch Workspace, Output has M values, Output has Z values, XY Resolution, XY Tolerance, Z Resolution, Z Tolerance, Output Z Domain, Output M Domain, Maintain Attachments, Transfer field domains, subtypes and attribute rules

So if things aren't working as expected, I suspect you are using the default settings which isn't appropriate for you situation.

in short... geometry must be the same type and preferably the same coordinate system..., attributes stuff ... lots to consider.

0 Kudos
JudyFrauman
New Contributor

Thanks Dan.  I'll dig into the details.  The geometry is all the same (polylines), but I'll take a closer look at field mapping and the parameters for Merge.  I really appreciate you helping out here!  Definitely lots to consider...

0 Kudos
JudyFrauman
New Contributor

A much delayed response back:  Your suggestion worked Dan.  Thank you.  Just in case this is useful for the next person, this is what I did.  I used Environment Settings for the following:

1.  Processing Extent - found the extent that would include ALL datasets

2.  Geodatabase Advanced - Entered the smallest cell size for Grid 1

3.  Fields - checked "Transfer field domain descriptors"

Appreciate all of the help on this!

Judy

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Glad it worked out Judy

0 Kudos