ArcGIS Imagery and Zoom Responsiveness as compared to Google Earth.

Jump to solution
07-31-2021 05:00 PM
Sniffer
New Contributor II

I have two videos showing the use of ArcGIS Earth and Google Earth over the same location.  I am curious to know why the imagery from ArcGIS Earth is not as crisp, and not as recent as Google Earth imagery from 10/8/2019.  Also, I'd like to know why Google Earth is much more responsive when zooming. 

Can I use a different basemap that is more recent (I'm currently using ArcGIS' standard imagery with labels).  And, is there a setting on in ArcGIS that would help be more responsive when zooming?

Much thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WillyLi
Esri Contributor

Hi Sniffer,
Thanks for your question.
Because ArcGIS Earth and Google Earth use different data sources for their basemaps, and each source has its own updating rule and frequency, so we could get different results for the same location. Since the data is different, their LODs might be different too, these differences are represented by the responsiveness when zooming.

In ArcGIS Earth users can use their own basemaps in the basemap panel, as long as the basemaps confirm with the basemap standards.

We are planning to support vector tile basemap in ArcGIS Earth, hope user can get better experiences and more user scenarios can be satisfied.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
WillyLi
Esri Contributor

Hi Sniffer,
Thanks for your question.
Because ArcGIS Earth and Google Earth use different data sources for their basemaps, and each source has its own updating rule and frequency, so we could get different results for the same location. Since the data is different, their LODs might be different too, these differences are represented by the responsiveness when zooming.

In ArcGIS Earth users can use their own basemaps in the basemap panel, as long as the basemaps confirm with the basemap standards.

We are planning to support vector tile basemap in ArcGIS Earth, hope user can get better experiences and more user scenarios can be satisfied.