ArcGIS Earth iOS KMZ file is not directly viewable in ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
02-24-2021 11:36 PM
Scott_McGee
New Contributor II

I'm using ArcGIS Earth iOS (version 1.3.0) on an iPad (iPadOS 14.4), paired with a Bad Elf GNSS Surveyor external GPS.

In ArcGIS Earth iOS, I recorded a track (KMZ format) and uploaded it to my ArcGIS Online portal account. In AGOL on my desktop computer, for my uploaded KMZ track, I selected Open in Map Viewer. It failed to load in the Map Viewer with the following message:

Error: The KML, MyGPSTrack.kmz, is not available or cannot be added to the map.

The only way I could get the KMZ file into the AGOL Map Viewer was to do the following:

1) In AGOL, downloaded MyGPSTrack.kmz to my local computer.

2) From my local computer, opened MyGPSTrack.kmz in Google Earth.

3) In Google Earth, saved the KMZ file to a new file name (MyGPSTrack_2.kmz)

4) In AGOL, added MyGPSTrack_2.kmz from my local computer to my AGOL Content.

5) In AGOL, opened MyGPSTrack_2.kmz in the Map Viewer.

Something is wrong here. It seems that a KMZ file uploaded directly from ArcGIS Earth iOS into my AGOL portal should be immediately viewable in the AGOL Map Viewer. Instead, I had to first take it through Google Earth and then back into AGOL before it could be used in AGOL.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm thinking this is a bug.

I have attached the zipped KMZ file if you want to try it out yourself.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bing_AnChen
Esri Contributor

Hi Scott,

Thank you for contacting us and bringing us the field data attached. The issue you described is a known bug and would be fixed in next release of Earth Mobile V1.3.1 weeks later.
Additionally, in step 2), feel free to try ArcGIS Earth Desktop  to view, edit and transport your KML/KMZ data. ArcGIS Earth has  a better collaboration with AGOL while Earth desktop will be supporting share KML to Portal in the upcoming V1.12 release. Please look forward to it and give it a try.

Thanks,

Bing'An

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Bing_AnChen
Esri Contributor

Hi Scott,

Thank you for contacting us and bringing us the field data attached. The issue you described is a known bug and would be fixed in next release of Earth Mobile V1.3.1 weeks later.
Additionally, in step 2), feel free to try ArcGIS Earth Desktop  to view, edit and transport your KML/KMZ data. ArcGIS Earth has  a better collaboration with AGOL while Earth desktop will be supporting share KML to Portal in the upcoming V1.12 release. Please look forward to it and give it a try.

Thanks,

Bing'An

0 Kudos
Scott_McGee
New Contributor II

Thank you for confirming that this is indeed a bug, and that it wasn't something I was doing wrong. Although at the same time, I can't help but wonder how something as basic as the above workflow (save ArcGIS Earth Mobile KMZ file to AGOL and view it in Map Viewer) does not work. Seems that should have been made bomb-proof at the very first initial release of ArcGIS Earth Mobile.

0 Kudos