Best practice for creating 2D products from Drone2Map in difficult areas

Jump to solution
08-28-2021 07:34 AM
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

Hi there

I used the SiteScan LE app and the grid flight pattern to capture 760 images using a DJI Phantom 4 Pro in a savanna (woodland) area.

Drone orthomosaic.jpg

I am using Drone2Map to process the imagery and find that I am not entirely happy with the results. I initially just accepted the default settings (under Options and the 2D Products and Initial tabs), but have since tried changing some of these. I am particularly interested in creating a good DTM to assist with an erosion rehabilitation study. The two below images of my DTM and DSM show that these layers can still be improved.

Drone DTM.jpgDrone DSM.jpg

I would love to know what settings should I be changing to get the best output? Are there any best practices that anyone can share for processing imagery from areas that are quite homogenous? Processing time is not important. 

Thank you!

Best wishes

Mervyn

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GordonSumerling
Esri Contributor

Hello Mervyn,

One of the keys when working in uniform terrain like this is to increase the point density and Point Cloud Densification.

I generally Use,

• Ppint Density: High
  • Point Cloud densification: 9x9 Pixels

Also, you get better results in these types of environments by increasing the overlap when flying. Min is 80% forward 70% sideways

GordonSumerling_0-1630277203008.png

Cheers

Gordon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
GordonSumerling
Esri Contributor

Hello Mervyn,

One of the keys when working in uniform terrain like this is to increase the point density and Point Cloud Densification.

I generally Use,

• Ppint Density: High
  • Point Cloud densification: 9x9 Pixels

Also, you get better results in these types of environments by increasing the overlap when flying. Min is 80% forward 70% sideways

GordonSumerling_0-1630277203008.png

Cheers

Gordon

0 Kudos
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Gordon! I am busy giving it a try ...

0 Kudos