Your account could not be used to authorize ArcGIS Pro because it is an ArcGIS Public Account

Jump to solution
08-15-2020 10:29 AM
BinuAlexander
New Contributor II

I have purchased a personal use license, Does this not include ArcGIS Pro ?  

What is the issue with not being able to open ArcGIS Pro due it being a public account?

Sign-in troubleshooting—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

This link is not very helpful.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshBeaton
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Binu,

Thanks for sending me your steps. From the looks of it you were able to download Pro successfully but when you try and log in, the account you are using is not associated to your ArcGIS Online Organization (still a public account). The below screenshots would be what to do for activating your subscription from the fulfilment link your received. As you can see on the third screenshot, when setting up your ArcGIS Online organization, you are asked if you want to create a new account or convert a public account. A key thing to remember once you have gone through setting up your ArcGIS Online organization before trying to use Pro is to add the add-on Pro entitlement to your account via the manage add-on license link. Once you have accomplished this you should be able to open up Pro and successfully sign in using the now organization account you created when setting up ArcGIS Online.

Hope this helps,

Josh

View solution in original post

21 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Josh Beaton‌ any other docs? or suggestions?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
BinuAlexander
New Contributor II

Hi Dan, I contacted ESRI India who says this is a global acccount so ESRI Global  has to resolve.      I am trying to get the answer to my . 1. Does ArcGIS for personal use subscription allow me to access ArcGIS Pro ? 2. If Yes, why am I not able to open and authorise pro 2.6 , after authorising arcMap 10.8 ?  Appreciate any help or advise, where to go to get support as I have raised a case and contacted my local ESRI who is not helpful. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Download, install, and authorize—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

In the Authorize section provides a link if you have a Named user account type

Named User licensing in ArcGIS Online—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

I would start there

... sort of retired...
JohnFrid
New Contributor II

Aaargh!

0 Kudos
BinuAlexander
New Contributor II

Thank you Dan Patterson‌. I will try out these. 

JoshBeaton
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Binu,

To answer your original question, personal use does include Pro. When purchasing you would have used a public account. Once you received an email with a fulfilment link that sends you to My Esri, it is there where you would activate your subscription and then download Pro. In the activation set up, AGOL would have prompted you to create a new account or use an existing public account. Whatever option you chose would be the account you would use when trying to access Pro. To help me understand further, could you provide the exact steps you did and also where in the process it is telling you that you can't use a public account.

Thanks,

Josh

BinuAlexander
New Contributor II

Thanks Josh,  Relieved to to know the subscription does include Pro !

General Steps

1. I used my gmail credentials to purchase ArcGIS for personal use for 1 year.
  2. I received fulfilment link and downloaded ArcMap and related tools as well as ArcGIS Pro.
  3. Successfully generated a license file and authorised ArcMap.

Exact steps used while trying to use/license ArcGIS Pro are

A. Tried to sign in to ArcGIS Pro, using the sign-in dialog that appears when launching the application. It gives me the option to use my 'public' gmail ID and opens a new browser window. then I get this error message. 

A sign-in error message is shown when the user has an ArcGIS public account.

below is the explanation I found at Sign-in troubleshooting—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation . This doesn't seem tell me what to do next.

"Your account is an ArcGIS public account

The message Your account could not be used to authorize ArcGIS Pro because it is an ArcGIS Public Account means that your account is not part of an ArcGIS organization. An ArcGIS public account has limited access to ArcGIS Online and does not allow you to use ArcGIS Pro

You can confirm that your account is a public account by signing in to ArcGIS Online from a web browser. If the URL is www.arcgis.com/home/index.html, your account is public. An ArcGIS organization account has the form www.<orgname>.maps.arcgis.com/home/index.html "

B. Tried the 'configure licensing options' too.  When I try the 'Named User License' option, this leads me to exact error as in step A, as gmail login is involved.  

C. When I try to authorise Single Use License and enter the ArcGUS License Key and hit authorise, it says 'successful' all products are already authorised. But ArcGIS Pro is not activated.

D. Under Licensing and Authorizations in 'My ESRI' there is no option  to generate a license for ArcGIS Pro . Only  ArcMap 10.8 and City Engine are listed as options. This is where I thought maybe I don't have rights to use ArcGIS Pro.

D. Raised a ticket with ESRI.com haven't got a response so far. Contacted Local ESRI support here in my country and finally got through to someone who seemed willing to help. They have put in a support request with ESRI global and this will take 2-3 business days to resolve. 

While I wait, I would really like to know what went, wrong and understand the process better for future. 

Binu

0 Kudos
JohnFrid
New Contributor II

Were you ever able to get this resolved? If so, how? ESRI is totally no help.

0 Kudos
BinuAlexander
New Contributor II

In adddition,  I think that the  ArcGIS Online,  that I can access via the public account, is the free version, as it keeps asking me to subscribe for the full version or  check out a 'free trial'. Is there a need to activate ArcGIS Online separately too ? Beginning to wonder if the social media login was a bad idea now !