Uninstalling ArcGIS 10.3.1 for Desktop prior to installing 10.4 Pre-release

Jump to solution
12-16-2015 10:08 PM
GraemeBrowning
Occasional Contributor III

Whenever I install a new version of ArcGIS for Desktop, especially new full or dot releases, I try to completely uninstall the previous version.  Consequently, today when I realized ArcGIS 10.4 Pre-release for Desktop was available I decided to uninstall 10.3.1 and then install that.  I removed the CSW Clients for ArcGIS Desktop first, and that went smoothly.

However, when I tried to uninstall ArcGIS 10.3.1 for Desktop, I encountered the error below which I posted about at Avoiding Error 1325 EsriPyFldr not valid short file name when uninstalling ArcGIS for Desktop? - Geo... .

Capture.PNG

While waiting for an answer I started to try a few things like:

Capture.PNG

• installing 10.4 pre-release over 10.3.1 - it blocked me at

I suspect that my only way forward will be if there is some utility available to wipe all traces of ArcGIS 10.3.1 for Desktop from my system.  Is there one?

My environment is: Windows 7 SP1, and besides ArcGIS 10.3.1 for Desktop (which seems to still be working fine), the other Esri software on it is ArcGIS Pro 1.1.1 and ArcGIS Earth Beta.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GraemeBrowning

The way that I was able to get past this indirectly was by focussing on an error that I received when trying to reinstall 10.3.1 over itself:

Error 1606. Could not access network location
    NULLDesktop10.3.

At Error 1606: Could not access Network Location NULLDesktop10.0. I found a post by Konstantin Glazkov: 

Recently I had a same problem. I have removed from the register:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ESRI

аnd it has helped me.

I did the same and then was able to reinstall 10.3.1 over itself.

I was then able to install 10.4 Pre-release over the top of 10.3.1.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

did you try Matt's suggestion?  The error suggests something is wrong with the python folder name.  If you follow the previous releases python has its own folder id c:\python27 but there is a subfolder inside with the arcmap version number.  either the uninstall of 10.3 fouled up the references or it is expecting a clean no python setup so it can install python from the distribution

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

PS. as a warning, The pre-release can't be upgraded to the final release as posted by

Derek Law in his blog and directed the arcgis blog ArcGIS 10.4 pre-release is now available | ArcGIS Blog

GraemeBrowning

I saw that before embarking on this uninstall of 10.3.1 and install of 10.4 Pre-release, and planned to uninstall (and not try to upgrade to) 10.4 when it gets to general release.

0 Kudos
GraemeBrowning

From Matt's suggestion I tried wmic product where "name = 'ArcGIS 10.3.1 for Desktop'" call Uninstall but it just reported that there was No Instance(s) Available. I'm a little reluctant to mess with my Python installs because I have 2.7.8 and 3.4.1 working nicely on the same machine with ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS 10.3.1 for Desktop (which continues to work despite claims that it is not on the machine). I think I'll put it formally into local support's court tomorrow if I am still stuck then.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

in instance like that, just rename the python27 and python374 folders temporarily you can always delete any new ones created

0 Kudos
GraemeBrowning

I'll keep this advice in reserve until I hear from Esri.  I'm anxious to keep ArcGIS 10.3.1 for Desktop, ArcGIS Pro 1.1.1, Python 2.7.8 and Python 3.4.1 all working until a safe path to ArcGIS 10.4 Pre has been recommended by them.  I logged an incident with local support this morning and hopefully will know the Redlands input by Monday.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I'm not sure if you received an actual email re: the pre-release or not, but in mine it included...

Be aware that the ArcGIS 10.4 prerelease is available to you for testing purposes only. Do not install ArcGIS 10.4 prerelease software on production machines. You will not be able to upgrade to the final version of ArcGIS 10.4 from this prerelease version.

The following information is for the download, installation, and authorization of ArcGIS 10.4 prerelease software. For more information, please see the ArcGIS 10.4 prerelease blog post.

ArcGIS 10.4 Prerelease
The ArcGIS 10.4 prerelease setup package is designed to detect and upgrade an existing installation of the same ArcGIS product. The settings for the installation location, License Manager (for concurrent use), or authorization information (for ArcGIS for Desktop single use or ArcGIS for Server products) are retained during the upgrade. See the installation guide for more information on installation upgrades, new installations, or installations prior to version 10.1, which are not supported by the upgrade process. Please remember that this prerelease version cannot be upgraded to the final version of ArcGIS 10.4.

Notes

• The copy protection mechanism for ArcGIS 10.4 for Desktop and ArcGIS 10.4 Engine concurrent use requires that ArcGIS 10.4 License Manager be installed to support these products.
  • Existing ArcGIS 10.1 - 10.3.1 authorization numbers will work with ArcGIS 10.4.

I agree that sometimes a clean install is better, but with the (red text, added for emphasis) line about "detect and upgrade" from 10.3.1, I figured I would give that a try on a test machine.  So 10.3.1->10.4prerel is supposed to work....10.4 pre-rel->final will not.   And although the license/authorization should come later in the process, I wonder if it needs it for the upgrade for pre-rel to happen? Personally, I'm just hesitant about the LM upgrade myself right now.

0 Kudos
GraemeBrowning

The email I received only said:

ArcGIS 10.4 prerelease software for ArcGIS for Desktop, ArcGIS for Server and ArcGIS Engine is now available via My Esri for all eligible users current on maintenance as of 1 December 2015.

Full installation and authorisation details can also be found on My Esri.

The software is available for testing purposes only. Do not install ArcGIS 10.4 prerelease on production machines. You will not be able to upgrade to the final version of ArcGIS 10.4 from this prerelease.

I did track down the ArcGIS104PR_Quick_Start_Guides.pdf which seems to be where your email drew its information from.  I have not been able to find the installation guide referred to but the bolded bits below make it look like I was on an unsupported path to 10.4:

See the installation guide for more information on installation upgrades, new installations, or installations prior to version 10.1, which are not supported by the upgrade process.

However, I'm confident that uninstalling a general release should still be supported, even if then going to 10.4 Pre as a subsequent fresh install may not be.

GraemeBrowning

The way that I was able to get past this indirectly was by focussing on an error that I received when trying to reinstall 10.3.1 over itself:

Error 1606. Could not access network location
    NULLDesktop10.3.

At Error 1606: Could not access Network Location NULLDesktop10.0. I found a post by Konstantin Glazkov: 

Recently I had a same problem. I have removed from the register:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ESRI

аnd it has helped me.

I did the same and then was able to reinstall 10.3.1 over itself.

I was then able to install 10.4 Pre-release over the top of 10.3.1.