Trial version authorized online, but when starting says "is not authorized"

09-11-2015 03:10 PM
ThomasBath1
New Contributor II

I have installed ArcGIS 10.1 and authorized online.  The messages says, "All requested features have already been authorized on this machine."    When I start ArcMap, it says "ArcGIS Desktop Advanced is not authorized for use."   What do I do next? 

Last year, I installed a 90 day trial version of the same software, but uninstalled it before loading this 180 day student version.  Was there some license file leftover from the old install that the license server might be locating?

As of now, I am dead in the water.  I may have wasted my unemployment insurance money on this Esri workbook.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Did you authorize for ArcGIS Advanced?

Open ArcGIS Administrator and check what licenses you have available to you and choose correctly. See if that makes a difference.

ThomasBath1
New Contributor II

Yes, I selected Advanced single use as instructed, I entered to code from my book, didn't authorize any extensions.

0 Kudos
ThomasBath1
New Contributor II

This is what is shown when I click on desktop:

DESKTOP

Installation Information

Product Name: ArcGIS 10.1 for Desktop

Release Version: 10.1

Product Version: 10.1.0.3035

Installation Folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.1\

Installed By: Thomas

Install Date: 9/11/2015

Install Time: 13:08:58

Install Image: C:\Users\Thomas\Documents\ArcGIS 10.1\Desktop\

Current User: Thomas

Application Data Folder: C:\Users\Thomas\AppData\Roaming

System Temporary Folder: C:\Users\Thomas\AppData\Local\Temp\

Service Pack Information

ArcGIS Service Pack: 0 (build 0)

ArcGIS Service Pack Installer: N/A

ArcGIS Service Pack Install Date: N/A

ArcGIS Service Pack Install Time: N/A

ArcGIS Service Pack Status: N/A

License Manager Environment Variable Information

ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE: N/A

LM_LICENSE_FILE: N/A

0 Kudos
ThomasBath1
New Contributor II

The folder for data license is blank.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

In ArcGIS Administrator> Under 'Desktop'> Click on Availability and check if it shows whether Licenses are available or not first

0 Kudos
ThomasBath1
New Contributor II

It is showing only expired licenses from my last install 60 day free trial which expired in Nov 2014.  So, my guess is I need to deauthorize the old licenses under the support operations tab and then reauthorize using my new license key number from my book.  I wonder how it knew about the old license since I uninstalled the old copy and removed the directories associated with the old install.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Thomas, ​

you may want to move this question to the group ArcGIS for Desktop Installation support 

to answer you question about if some files hold old registrations, 40611 - Clear or delete trusted storage for concurrent-use and single-use licenses     Make sure to read the comments.  My advice: Always make sure to backup/move/rename the files instead of just deleting...just in case it doesn't fix the problem. 

also, make sure you have the .net 3.5.1 installed (not just 4.0).

0 Kudos
ThomasBath1
New Contributor II

Thanks,

I moved the files from Flexnet as directed in the clear delete trusted storage and restarted administrator.  I reauthorized the license and got the message, "Authorization denied because request would have exceeded the max copies for the following  authorization numbers."  I haven't used the book and authorization number before August when I tried to install the first time. Could I be getting the message because I have tried to authorize around 4 times now, or because someone has used this number in the past?

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

​Most likely it is because you have tried to authorize it four times, not that anyone else has it. Even full licensed copies have a set limit of times to authorize. Typically, a quick call to my customer service rep will reset it. Do you have someone at the school you can talk to?  If not, if you reference this discussion and explain your situation to serivce@esri.com (I think that is correct) they can probably help.  I don't think there is anything you can do directly, unless there is a way to restore the files you changed....de-authorize...move the files again, and try to re-authorize again.  The limit most likely will still be a limit, but you can try.

Just FYI I've hit this limit even when "myEsri" has I had a license available, when switching my license manager for one server to the next, then to another, etc. (as our network servers have changed).  So your license should still be good....but you may need a new authorization number.

You may want to check out a few of these discussions too. Might not be exactly what you are facing but may give you some clues.

ArcGIS Trial Installation Problems

or do a browser search like  "geonet license issue trial arcgis"  or leave of the geonet and maybe get stack exchange.  I'm just trying to throw some extra possible things out there since it's a weekend and you won't be able to get hold of customer service until Monday.