Silent GIS Upgrade Including Add-Ins

01-28-2016 07:56 AM
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I have been performing silent upgrades of ESRI GIS software since 9.2.  My organization has custom VB.NET desktop applications that I have needed to uninstall before uninstalling the main desktop software.  I was able to uninstall the custom VB.NET desktop applications using msiexec /x and the GUID for the custom desktop application that is found in the computer's registry.

I have been unable to find similar objects for Add-Ins.  As such, has anyone had the need to silently uninstall Add-Ins when they upgraded their ESRI desktop GIS software?  Can you provide some guidance/hints on how this would be accomplished.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MichaelRobb
Occasional Contributor III

ESRI Addins are installed in a hidden folder AssemblyCache under Apptadata.

e.g. C:\Users\[YOU]\AppData\Local\ESRI\Desktop10.3\AssemblyCache\  {xxxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx}

I prefer having addins as 'shared' on a network location and then setting the Regkey of the user machine to a network path where addins reside.

This is done here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ESRI\Desktop10.3\Settings\AddinFolders\   PATH STRING as KEY

This allows ALL users to be on the same addin, when upgrades occur it is simply replace the one addinx file on the network location... on a new instance (open arcmap or catalog) , the internal values are compared.. if different, the new addin is loaded locally.

If you delete an addinx ... on a new instance opening (arcmap), the addin is deleted from the local.

Doing the above does not require any 'silent uninstall'.

You can also go further and change

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ESRI\Desktop10.3\Settings\BlockAddins   to a value of =1  so that no addins can be added by the user... this keeps everyone using the same addins, toolbars and extensions. 

There is other ways such as using the ESRIRegAddIn.exe ... but that is a different discussion.

0 Kudos