Serious Application Error

09-26-2015 07:07 AM
OliviaBrown2
New Contributor

Hello,

I am running Windows 10 and running ArcMap Desktop Single Use Advanced 10.3.1.  When opening Desktop, I now get a "serious application error notice".  I called tech support and they sent me to this document http://support.esri.com/es/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/38394 but it was not helpful.  Has anyone else had luck solving this issue?

Please help!  I need to get some work done.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
KirstenPinkston
Esri Contributor

Hi Olivia,

Thanks for looking into it. If you've deauthorized/ reauthorized and there's no option to repair your license, it's not sounding like a corrupt license issue, but we can absolutely investigate and find out how far along in the launch process ArcMap is making it by grabbing a log file:

1. Launch Command Prompt as an administrator
    • Go to Start and type CMD into the search
    • CMD should be the first result in the list-- right-click > Run as administrator
  2. Change directory to ArcGIS for Desktop install location
    • Default install location for 64bit machines is C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.3\bin
    • Type: cd\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.3\bin
    • Press enter
  3. Run ArcMap log command
    • Type arcmap.exe /log
    • Press enter
  4. Launch ArcMap
  5. Grab the log
    • Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.3\bin\ArcMap.log

Attach the log to your reply and I'll take a look at it, to see if we can't pin down why the crash is happening.

Thanks again!

Kirsten

0 Kudos
JeremyKiss1
New Contributor II

Hi Kirsten,

I am having the same issues as Olivia, I captured the log:

Initializing license...done

Parsed command line

Creating App...

done

Processing shell command...

Creating New Document...

Opening normal template...done...

Loading printer information...done...

New VBA project...done...

Add first mapDone creating New Document

done

Loading extensions...done

Startup complete

Any help would be appreciated. I am considering downgrading my laptop to windows 7 or 8 if I can't resolve this soon.

Thanks,

Jeremy

0 Kudos
JeremyKiss1
New Contributor II

Solved this thanks to ESRI support. None of the other fixes discussed online helped my case. My issue was due to a bug in Python 2.7.11, this solved it immediately:

Start Registry Editor

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > WOW6432Node > Python > PythonCore > 2.7

Change the name of 2.7 to 2.7-32

Jeremy

V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Jeremy Kiss

Glad you got things sorted.

That is issue of Esri support KB 45924 (Python bug#25824) which begs the question, how did you end up with Python 2.7.11 installed over your ArcGIS for Desktop install?

What else did you install, or how had you modified your ArcGIS installation to end up with the Python 2.7.11 naming glitch?

Interesting side bar might be the impact, if any, when the Python 2.7.8 based 64-bit background geoprocessing extension is installed.

Stuart

JeremyKiss1
New Contributor II

I had python (not sure the version) installed before installing ArcGIS which may have caused issues. I did not modify the ArcGIS installation at all.

Jeremy

0 Kudos
BrandonNelson1
New Contributor III

This fixed it for me, too, thanks.  I had installed another instance of Python 2.7 after ArcGIS, which seems to have overridden the version installed with ArcGIS rather than existing alongside it.

0 Kudos