Save my edit not working in ArcMap 10.2 after edit.

03-28-2016 10:07 AM
LahmerBelkacem
New Contributor II

Hi all !

I have a problem with Arcmap editing too , i have a shape file not referenced , i use spatial adjustment to reference it and its work great, but when i push save edit , ArcGis crushing and never save, i try to do this with 3 other PC but i get the same probelm ,

NOTE :

Arcmap using 25% of CPU usage when it crush and i wait for hours but nothing is happen, so what's the problem???

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LahmerBelkacem
New Contributor II

I solve it , i change Feature Class to shape file and it's work perfectly

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Lahmer,

Were you getting an error when you were trying to save the file? It likely was a schema lock. Usually shutting all ArcGIS software programs down and just opening one helps to solve this problem. It is good that a shapefile worked - this means that the data is ok. Maybe try your feature class again (or overwrite your feature class with your newly created shapefile)?

0 Kudos
LahmerBelkacem
New Contributor II

I am sure that i close every arcgis soft wars and i use only one, i export my feature class to one shape file , then i edit the file and save correctly , but feature class doesn't work.

i have 6000 polygon in my feature class, in first time i thought that the big number is the cause of the problem but when i did it again in shape file it's work.

so i think the problem (QUESTION ) is : what's the different between shape file and feature class   ????

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Lahmer,

That is a very big question. There are a lot of differences and a lot of similarities. In a sense, a shapefile is a feature class - the big difference is how they're stored. Broadly, shapefiles are an older format whereas geodatabase feature classes are newer. With newer technology, file sizes are smaller, processes are quicker, and (typically) storage is cleaner.

Realistically, you likely want to be using geodatabase feature classes when working with your data. There are many resources out there that explain the differences between shapefiles and feature classes.

This site provides a nice explanation between the two:

Shapefiles vs. Geodatabases - Duke Libraries Data & Visualization Services

There are some good places to start on Esri's site as well:

What is geodata?—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

0 Kudos