Running ArcGIS from a Server

Jump to solution
12-16-2015 05:54 AM
RobertParty
New Contributor III

Please help! I think I made a BIIIIG mistake. The company I work for wants to do some 3-D mapping and put me in charge since i am the only one here who knows how to use ArcGIS. When discussing the software the boss never said that he wanted it to run from the network server so that other workers could get on if need be.  Well I ordered the software and was installing it this morning when the boss came in and asked why I was installing it on my machine and not on the server. I purchased the ArcGIS desktop advanced single use term licence from this page as well as all of the extensions. Esri Store: Browsing Desktop Subscriptions

So I am wondering if there is a way to install and run the program from a network server, or did I just waste a large chunk of company money?

Thnanks

-Rob

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeCusi
Occasional Contributor II

You would need to convert your Single use to a Concurrent use license which will always be more expensive so be prepared to pay more when you call your ESRI rep. Even if you only buy 1 license, you could install the desktop software on every machine where you can potentially run ArcGIS Desktop from but as you only have 1 license (stored in a license manager which is usually installed in a server) only 1 machine can use the software at any one time. The moment a user exits the application, the license automatically gets freed up and anyone else can jump in and start their own ArcMAP or ArcCatalog session from their machine.

If I remember right, the difference in cost for a single Advanced (aka ARCINFO) license is not much when you buy one Advanced and one Basic (aka ARCVIEW) license. You would then need to get only 1 license for any of the extensions which is also stored and used concurrently in your license manager.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I don't think you wasted money- call you ESRI service rep.  Typically they can shake out the kinks of licensing issues in a phone call. (I know mine has helped me out of a jam or 10 over the years.)  However, getting the correct licensing may cost you more for multiple users.

I've never heard of ArcGIS desktop being installed on an application server; back in the ArcInfo days I think that's what was done.  Today, you  have a license manager on a network server and it keeps track of who is using what.

That should just about do it....
MikeCusi
Occasional Contributor II

You would need to convert your Single use to a Concurrent use license which will always be more expensive so be prepared to pay more when you call your ESRI rep. Even if you only buy 1 license, you could install the desktop software on every machine where you can potentially run ArcGIS Desktop from but as you only have 1 license (stored in a license manager which is usually installed in a server) only 1 machine can use the software at any one time. The moment a user exits the application, the license automatically gets freed up and anyone else can jump in and start their own ArcMAP or ArcCatalog session from their machine.

If I remember right, the difference in cost for a single Advanced (aka ARCINFO) license is not much when you buy one Advanced and one Basic (aka ARCVIEW) license. You would then need to get only 1 license for any of the extensions which is also stored and used concurrently in your license manager.