New Contributor II

I am getting the following image when I try to open ArcMap

What can I do to fix it?

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
17 Replies
MarceloLago
New Contributor III

The steps above did not work. After one week or so I am back to the bad image message by using the 10.4.1 version. On top of that, another PC with ArcMap 10.5.1 just displayed also the bad image message. We are in crisis mode around here ...

One weird thing is that we have similar configuration in several computers and not all of them have the bad image issue. So far, only the two newest PCs displayed the message.

We are using McAfee antivirus (All Access-Total Protection). Do you guys have the same antivirus?

Just as a try, I have turned off the QuickClean schedule inside McAfee. This QuickClean by default remove things like "Temporary files", "Lost file fragments", and "ActiveX controls"; which scares me.

Michael_ArmandCanilao
New Contributor II

Yes I am on McAfee also

0 Kudos
Michael_ArmandCanilao
New Contributor II

Hi Marcelo this information that the McAfee software may be part of the issue is very useful.

I am running McAfee Livesafe.

Several weeks ago I went into the Real Time Scanning option under settings and included each and every (frequently) deleted application extension files in the "Excluded Files." SO far everything works OK-- haven't had to copy paste items from my back-up bin.

Today, I want to report back that this more permanent solution seems to work.

0 Kudos
Michael_ArmandCanilao
New Contributor II

Thank you Marcelo. I will attempt this on my machine and will provide updates. Last week I also replaced the 10.5 version with the 10.4 version but the same bad image message popped up the following day. I am inclined to believe your method (aka the deep cleaning method ) maybe a better solution.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

For those who had this issue, did this error ever occur with ArcMap on a Windows 7 machine?

0 Kudos
Michael_ArmandCanilao
New Contributor II

I encountered the problem running Windows 10. I have not heard of anyone yet who had the problem on a Windows 7 machine

0 Kudos
Michael_ArmandCanilao
New Contributor II

Probably did the install-uninstall route far too many times. Tried something new...

After a fresh reinstall and everything is working fine, I created a back-up bin folder with the exact contents of  C😕 Program Files(x86) \ ArcGIS \ Desktop 10._ \ bin. If the bad times roll-in again, I patch- up whatever application extension has an error in C😕 Program Files(x86) \ ArcGIS \ Desktop 10._ \ bin with the version from the back-up bin folder (i.e., DisplayLib.dll or ImageAccessLib.dll, etc...).

It works for now but I will provide updates.

MarceloLago
New Contributor III

Thank you Michael. We ended creating also a backup of the bin directory in each PC, as you suggested.