Multiple Windows in ArcGIS

08-06-2014 04:55 AM
WalterWitt
New Contributor III

In previous versions of Arc and previous computers, I have been able to open as many Arc Projects as I want, each in its own window. In my current situation, I can only open one Project at a time. If I want to open a new Arc project, I have to save the one I am using and close it.

What to do?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

When you say multiple projects, are you meaning multiple instances of separate ArcMap programs running at the same time?  What version of ArcGIS are you running and what is your operating system?  What happens when you have ArcMap running and then go to Start --> ArcGIS --> ArcMap on your computer?

0 Kudos
WalterWitt
New Contributor III

Adrian

As I stated in my original enquiry, I am running ArcGIS9.3.1 on a Windows 8 platform. When I go Start – ArcGIS – Arcmap, the current Project (map) closes down and the new one opens up

Walter

0 Kudos
ZackK
by
New Contributor III

Hello Walter,

Try this solution:

http://blogs.esri.com/esri/supportcenter/2010/07/21/after-installing-service-pack-2-for-9-3-1-openin...

As you see, this bug precedes Windows 8, so I hope the solution works for you as well.

Good luck!

WalterWitt
New Contributor III

Zack

Thanks for your help. It does not seem a very satisfactory state of affairs though

Regards

Walter

0 Kudos
ZackK
by
New Contributor III

Glad I could provide some insight, I had the issue soon after the service pack came out...

Cheers!

0 Kudos
WalterWitt
New Contributor III

Service packs – more trouble than they are worth, generally speaking

Walter

ZackK
by
New Contributor III

Often they fix the bugs I didn't even know I had, and no fix for the ones that are bugging me (or create surprises as you had above)

0 Kudos