Low performance of Background Geoprocessing (64-bit) - ArcMap version 10.5

05-10-2017 05:37 PM
MarkMindlin
Occasional Contributor III

We have an issue with a performance after installing the product.

The usage of CPU-s is very low in comparison with doing the same task without the product.

The task: Manage Tile Cache geoprocessing.

CPU cores: 16

ArcGIS version: 10.5 ArcMap (I've noticed the same on 10.3.1)

Parallel Processing Factor: 100%

Before the install it showed 100% CPU usage, but after – only 5 -10%.

I checked the “Geoprocessing Options” -> Background-> Enabled 

Are there other settings to use?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I believe the tile creation is a low memory consuming process, and it takes a long time to create tiles. We had a high-end server which took more than 72 hours to generate a Tiled cache of around 50 GB.

This helps other geoprocessing activities to run smoothly. Since it takes so much of time for generating map cache, it is advised to cache the maps which doesn't change frequently (e.g. Basemaps).

Meanwhile check Tips and best practices for map caches—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Think Location
DavidSemitekol3
New Contributor II

Hello!

Not to be Captain Obvious, but are you concerned that your CPU is not grinding (working hard) or concerned that the tasks are now taking a lot longer.

If the tasks are not taking longer, don't expect your CPU to be working hard either, especially with a 64-bit process and the monster machine you have it on.

I know your feeling, my laptop, (minor equipment) will lag, grind, and take a bit longer to run processes and I can watch the CPU usage spike.  My base computer (built just a wee bit hardier) doesn't even blink an eye for CPU usage, and my processing time is much faster.

Then there are times when both machines just seem to take forever.  Sometimes processing in ArcGIS is time consuming and it seems like there is nothing we can do to make it faster, including building a computer to rival NASA.  We just need to be patient and hope that ESRI continues to improve their ArcGIS software.