Lost Extension License terminates ArcMap (10.6.1)

11-26-2018 03:07 AM
OskarErdödy
New Contributor III

Finally someone found a way to even make simple product discussions complicated. I didn't find the right Community-Sub-Sub-Sub-Sub group, so I landed me here. I am not eager to get a degree in Esri community participation management. Admin feel free to move my post to the right place.

I am on ArcGis Desktop 10.6.1. vulgo Arcmap on a borrowed license. I borrowed it via Arcgis Administrator and then worked with it. I also had the Extension '3d-Analyst' activated, but not borrowed, because I do not always need it during the borrowing time of the main product.

So far so good, that worked as expected, but today I had no Internet (also as I expected) and Arcmap lost the connection to the License server. I didn't think that would be a problem, because it's only the extension and not Arcmap itself, which was still borrowed.

But after those five tries of reaching the LS for '3d-Analyst', guess what, Arcmap terminated itself !!!!

What ? - It terminates because the License of the extension was not found ? And we have 2018, not 1993 ! Yep, it did.

Luckily i saved my map before Arcmap vanished (of course with no option to save my work).

I think that is not what an application this expensive should do. It literally says 'Hey, we appreciate your tens of thousands of Euros, but no, for a halfway decent license managing process we are too lazy.'

I bet it's still not possible to mix a single local license with shared extensions.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
OskarErdödy
New Contributor III

The more I am confronted with this community, the more I get angry.

After 30+ years of successful navigating computer tech I found a community system were I am lost. I didn't know where I put the above message, there were no traces of my activity in my account info, so I had to use my browser's history. I mean, there isn't even a group or product called 'Arcgis Desktop', only 'Arcgis Desktop Germany', not global. There is only 'Arcgis Pro', and that is another product, isn't it ?

How on earth will any useful information come back to Esri with this ridiculous (sorry) policy of creating and maintaining a community system that takes so much screen space and gives you absolutely no hint how it could be effectively usable. Does anybody really think that such an 'immersive experience' will generate useful content by itself ? I mean, it looks like the developers want to hide behind that huge moloch of a community system, which is exactly the thick and soft wall of kind support that never gets anything useful done.

I do not need to be captured by a warm hugging jungle of hyper-functionality, if that jungle isn't able to answer the easiest off all questions: Where should I leave my sh*t ?

0 Kudos