Installing new version of ArcMap deleted my personal toolboxes

08-31-2015 03:50 AM
AriannaNumi
New Contributor

Hi everybody,

I have a huge issue. I had ArcMAp 10.2 installed on my pc with an advanced concurrent use licence. I needed to change to a standalone installation so I changed from 10.2 to 10.3 (deleting 10.2 and installing 10.3). I was convinced that My Toolboxes would have appeared when loading a previous mxd file but it is not the case.

Basically it seems I lost all My Toolboxes. This would be a HUGE issue. Could you tell me if there is anything I can do? Maybe they were put in another location? Maybe I can restore them somehow?

I feel very daunted...

Thank you for your help,

Arianna

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Where you toolboxes saved?  on disk? in some mxd? just do a search on your computer looking for ... tbx ... as the key to see if any toolboxes exist.  You might have a look through the help documentation:

A quick tour of managing tools and toolboxes—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

If that provides no more clues, and a search turns up nothing, they are gone

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

The default location for ArcMap 10.2 custom toolboxes would be

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.2\ArcToolbox\My Toolboxes

And you should be able to copy them to

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.3\ArcToolbox\My Toolboxes

If you stored them to an alternate location, you may just need to map the folder.  Unless you totally erased the folder, they should still be there.  If you did delete the folder, check to see if they are in your recycle bin, or hopefully there is a backup.

EDIT:  if they were python Addins, you may need to reinstall them.

AriannaNumi
New Contributor

Thank you to both of you... I tried almost everything but I think they are gone.

0 Kudos
LaureneKoman
Occasional Contributor III

the uninstall or install wouldn't remove user created files.  Keep looking... they should be somewhere.

Laurene Koman

ArcGIS Installation Team